New iTunes Terms of Service

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sxl95, May 5, 2008.

1. sxl95 macrumors member

Anyone know what the changes are so that I don't have to sift through the whole thing?

Thanks,

Sam

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Didn't care all that much, didn't read take the time to read it.

3. capvideo macrumors member

capvideo

The bit that caught my eye is that it seems to say that it will start erasing ringtones, and you agree that it's okay when it does this. I think it's saying that Apple-authorized ring tones can only be on one phone at a time.

On the plus side, it also seems to be excluding iTunes Plus songs from the restriction that you aren't allowed to create ring tones from songs you buy from the iTMS.

Actually, it's hard to tell, but they may have removed the "you can't make ring tones" restriction altogether. I don't see anywhere in there where it says that songs can't be used as a ring tone. Its only mention of ring tones appears to be as "ring tone products" which appears to specifically restrict only those ring tones that Apple sells. There used to be a line in the iTMS agreement that said "You may not use Products as a musical “ringer” in connection with phone calls". I can't find that line or anything like it in the current agreement.

Jerry

4. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

5. capvideo macrumors member

capvideo

It may be U.S. only, but sometime in the last couple of days a new iTunes Music Store agreement has popped up; I noticed it this morning when I started to download the free download of the week and couldn't go any further without agreeing to it.

I haven't actually agreed to it it yet, because I want to know what the point of this new agreement is. It might even be a good thing; it almost looks to me like Apple is trying to marginalize commercial ring tones in favor of regular tracks.

I came here hoping that someone else had read it and understood what was going on, but just found this thread.

Jerry

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Hmm i thought it had more to do with what's permitted in terms of video product. Maybe because I remember it happened on my MacBook Air and I usually buy movies or rent movies onto my Air, but still tend to buy music onto my workhorse 12" G4 powerbook.

I remember glancing through the Agreement before I agreed to it and it seemed to me that it was making more restrictions about where you could transfer a movie to from the machine on which you bought it.

Seemingly more references were made to "primary machine" or machine on which you "primarily sync" or something.

And I was thinking "uh-oh..." because I sync all my iPods manually. And "primary" to me means a) whatever machine is on my lap right now and b) the couple iPods within reach that have the most space on them or else one I have sitting on the table with intent to reload it completely.

I sheepishly confess that I just decided to agree to the new terms and to mumble to myself later on if it turns out I don't like what I signed onto... I am getting intellectually lazy in my old age I guess.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I just checked two of my iPhones after I read the above and my ringtones purchased from the Apple store remain on both.