New IUP customer switching - T-Mobile to Verizon

jalm1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I am a T-Mobile customer and want to order the X via the IUP and move to Verizon. Since i cant do IPU online with T-Mobile and then switch. What is the best way to do this?

I tried a test order with the 8 and it looks like i have to have an existing account with Verizon. I am wondering how to do this, or if the best course of action is just to sign up as a new customer and order directly through Verizon?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I am a T-Mobile customer and want to order the X via the IUP and move to Verizon. Since i cant do IPU online with T-Mobile and then switch. What is the best way to do this?

I tried a test order with the 8 and it looks like i have to have an existing account with Verizon. I am wondering how to do this, or if the best course of action is just to sign up as a new customer and order directly through Verizon?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, i'd switch to the new carrier (verizon) first and then do the IUP with the correct carriers device.
Doing it the other way would be a real pain having to return the incompatible device and waiting till God knows when stock will be available etc....

Reactions: nburwell

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014

What is your current phone? Will it work on Verizon?

jalm1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Its a 7+, i entered the IMEI and VZW said it wasnt compatible.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Its a 7+, i entered the IMEI and VZW said it wasnt compatible.
Unfortunately, there is no easy and quick option for you unless you can get a phone that works on Verizon to use to switch to Verizon tomorrow.

If you don't have a phone that works on Verizon, the best option IMO is for you to pre-order the iPX while on TMobile. Then after you receive your TMobile iPX, go to an Apple store and tell them you are moving to Verizon and need to exchange it for a Verizon iPX. You will have to wait for them to get one in stock and it will take awhile, but once they get one, they can start a new AiUP agreement for the Verizon iPX and Citizens' One will refund what you paid for the TMobile iPX.

Also, you need to quote me if you want me to see your responses.

jalm1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Unfortunately, there is no easy and quick option for you unless you can get a phone that works on Verizon to use to switch to Verizon tomorrow.

If you don't have a phone that works on Verizon, the best option IMO is for you to pre-order the iPX while on TMobile. Then after you receive your TMobile iPX, go to an Apple store and tell them you are moving to Verizon and need to exchange it for a Verizon iPX. You will have to wait for them to get one in stock and it will take awhile, but once they get one, they can start a new AiUP agreement for the Verizon iPX and Citizens' One will refund what you paid for the TMobile iPX.
I guess a i can just order directly from VZW using their program as a new customer. Just worried VZW site will act up and directly through apple would be easier. I'm not to worried about having overlapping services for a few weeks.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I guess a i can just order directly from VZW using their program as a new customer.
That is highly unlikely to work. To order as a new customer you are going to have to go through a credit check online and more often than not the online credit check requires a call before they let you place the order to prevent fraud. I suspect their system will be overwhelmed on top of all of the usual bugs.

jalm1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
That is highly unlikely to work. To order as a new customer you are going to have to go through a credit check online and more often than not the online credit check requires a call before they let you place the order to prevent fraud. I suspect their system will be overwhelmed on top of all of the usual bugs.
Would Verizon open an account today and activate a SIM vs. an actual handset? then i would have an account number for the online ordering?

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Would Verizon open an account today and activate a SIM
You need a phone that works on Verizon.
[doublepost=1508957762][/doublepost]
vs. an actual handset?
No carrier can do that. There is no way to activate a SIM card on any carrier without an IMEI of a phone.

You could buy a Verizon phone in a corporate store to start your line today and then see if you can pre-order through AiUP using that line. Then when the iPX arrives return the phone you bought from Verizon to Verizon before 14 days are up and pay the $35 restocking fee. The only potential problem I see with that is that AiUP interfaces with Verizon's database. AFAIK, having an active Verizon DPP on your line shouldn't cause a problem with an AiUP order but you would need to ask others to see if anyone has actually done it.

Only go to Verizon corporate stores, do not go to the authorized/premium retailers. The VARs charge all kinds of hidden fees like set up and go fees that they don't tell you about until they have already set up the new phone. And even if you don't have them set it up, they charge you the fee. They also have very high restocking fees.

Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
Just buy a cheap Verizon 5s or SE and open an account. Then once you're all set up with VZW, you can enroll in the IUP to get the X.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Just buy a cheap Verizon 5s or SE and open an account. Then once you're all set up with VZW, you can enroll in the IUP to get the X.
I don't think Verizon sells the iP5s any longer. Also, I am not 100% sure whether or not having an active DPP on a Verizon line would cause a problem with placing an AiUP order.

Verizon stores won't sell you phones full retail without a huge fight since they don't get a commission off of those.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
I don't think Verizon sells the iP5s any longer. Also, I am not 100% sure whether or not having an active DPP on a Verizon line would cause a problem with placing an AiUP order.
VZW might be different, but when I was on IUP with AT&T, even though I had not paid of my current device on NEXT, I had no issues enrolling in IUP program and getting the new phone up and running in the store.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
VZW might be different, but when I was on IUP with AT&T, even though I had not paid of my current device on NEXT, I had no issues enrolling in IUP program and getting the new phone up and running in the store.
Someone just PMed from Verizon and they have an active DPP on their Verizon line and when they did a test order on apple.com of an iP8, it wouldn't let them even pay in full, which is ridiculous. So it must depend on the carrier at least if you order online. It may be different in store.

jalm1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Someone just PMed from Verizon and they have an active DPP on their Verizon line and when they did a test order on apple.com of an iP8, it wouldn't let them even pay in full, which is ridiculous. So it must depend on the carrier at least if you order online. It may be different in store.
Interesting. I guess I'm going to try two things: 1) order a full price phone from apple on my TMO account, 2) setup new service through VZW online. We'll see which ones works.

Reactions: JulesJam

sbuntin

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Portland OR
Interesting. I guess I'm going to try two things: 1) order a full price phone from apple on my TMO account, 2) setup new service through VZW online. We'll see which ones works.
If you're switching to Verizon, why would you buy a TMO phone?