New Ivy Bridge MBP: Heat Problems with rendering?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Beliblis, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Beliblis macrumors regular

Hi,

With Ivy Bridge developing a little more heat then its predecessor: I often use my laptops for rendering 3d-scenes.
    Would this be a potential problem with the new Ivy Bridge MBPs? I mean: Can they overheat & cause hardware problems that way? Or is the heat development somewhat regulated by temperature sensors (which would slow down the processor if need be)...

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The computer will shut down if it's overheating.

3. Beliblis thread starter macrumors regular

So it's impossible to cause any permanent damage then?
    How about longevity of a laptop (not just apple) in general: Does a laptop that runs cooler last longer?
    Let's say: 2 people by the same laptop. One uses it for browsing/writing. The other for batch-rendering 3d scenes overnight...

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

You are overthinking this. The biggest thing you might have to deal with is fan noise.

5. pearstar macrumors newbie

Ivy Bridge only runs a little hotter than Sandy Bridge when both are overclocked, which is normally not likely to happen with laptops.

6. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

The MBP chassis is designed as one big heat sink, pulling heat away from the core components, so yes it may get hot while rendering, ie you won't be putting it on your lap. They are designed this way.