new iWork for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gt1948, Feb 9, 2010.

1. gt1948 macrumors regular

gt1948

Anyone have a clue on the file sizes for these apps for the iPad.

Pages is a definite for me for sure. But still debating between a 32 and 64 gb model.

Theunknown is those file sizes for all the new iPad apps coming down the pike.

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

You mean the size of the actual apps? The desktop version of all three iWork '09 apps are <700mb for the Universal binaries. I suspect the iPad version will be less than half that. Programs are small, I wouldn't worry about them in picking your iPad capacity, but rather the amount of medial you want to carry.

3. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Well crap, I didn't think about the iPad app size being larger. I guess movies would be larger too on that display if shown at full resolution? Crap maybe I do need the 64gb one. This is getting expensive.

4. thejakill macrumors 6502

thejakill

i'm excited about pages for ipad. hope there's an easy printing solution for it.

also, not as worried about memory for ipad, since i won't be putting music on it. i think i can get by pretty well with the cheap (16GB) version.

5. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

iWork is a universal or "fat binary" meaning it has binaries for both intel and PPC, so it is at least 2X as large as a native app would be on the iPad. Based on what the games on iPhone run, I bet iWork on iPad will come in around 150-200 megs maximum.

6. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Yeah, but app sizes will be larger in general. The 3.2 SDK apparently has the ability to create universal apps that run on iPhone in standard lo-res mode and iPad in hi-res, with more screen real-estate goodies. Combining these apps into one will surely increase the size. Plus iPad games will have larger texture maps, etc, making them quite a bit bigger. It's going to be difficult selling the wife on the 64gb model, especially now that I'm considering 3g. I don't know what to do now. At least $300 of it is being paid with Chegg marketing reimbursent and $250 with birthday money.

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Sure, they will be large than iPhone apps, some of the time, but they're not going to be HUGE by any means. The largest iPod apps I have at the moment are about 100mb and those are games with lots of graphics and music and whatnot, and most of the apps are <10mb. I doubt we will see many iPad apps top the 300mb range, with most being in the <50mb range.

A single standard def TV episode from iTunes is about 500mb, for reference. In other words, I would be VERY surprised if most people use more than a gig (or two SD TV episodes of space) on apps.

8. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

This is a good point. I carry my podcasts and music with me on my iphone or with apps that allow me to access my library remotely (which should work on ipad as well), so I won't need any of that space for the iPad.

I am really intrigued about the iWorks apps on the iPad.

I don't use iWorks now, but this could be very useful for me and my business.

9. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I want iWork apps for the iPhone, besides the iPad.

10. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

Yeah, Documents to go for iPhone is good, but doesn't support editing iWork files (only Office files).