New iWork for Lion MUST be coming.

talmy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Check out http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/auto-save.html

Note that they are using Pages in the examples, and that it has the Auto Save and Versions features, and from the look at the Pages window also supports full screen. The current version has none of these features (in fact Pages Full Screen is disabled in Lion!)

Conclusion -- in order for the advertising to be accurate there will be at least revised iWork when Lion is released. Perhaps even iWork '11 or '12?

Takuro

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
iLife '11 just got a modest patch via Software Update to add Lion compatibility and full-screen mode. I don't think it's really surprising if iWork gets a small update too. However, a "new" iWork may not be out for a bit.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I've thought about this too. It might just be added in an update to the current iWork. But it would be nice to see iWork get a major update, as resume and versions are fairly big features.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I think it will be a free update.

Apple's going the "free updates" path, just like all iOS apps already are.

Notice how the Mac App Store shows iWorks as "iWorks" and iLife as "iLife '11"

Food for thought

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I agree. Apple wants to put pressure on other developers to put resume and versions in their apps. The best way to do is is to put them in a new iWork version, and publicize the hell out of it.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I think it will be a free update.

Apple's going the "free updates" path, just like all iOS apps already are.

Notice how the Mac App Store shows iWorks as "iWorks" and iLife as "iLife '11"

Food for thought
I guess it became too embarrassing to put the '09 in front of it. They'll probably drop the year from now on.

o'glory

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2010
Canada
That's what I was thinking. However, I don't think it will be a free update. I'm sure it will be at least around $19.99

talmy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
That's what I was thinking. However, I don't think it will be a free update. I'm sure it will be at least around $19.99
There has never been an update price, so expect a re-purchase at $20 per app (Keynote, Numbers, Pages) and only available in the Mac App Store.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
They demonstrated '09 with these features at the keynote. It'll be a free point update.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
They'll need a new iWork update eventually in order to enable iCloud syncing with iWork on iOS, anyways. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Not that I have anything to back this up but I also think there will be a free update pushed to make iWork Lion-optimised. Just like they did for iLife a week ago.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
If they can fix up some of the compatibility issues with Office, even just support exports to the formats it has been using since '07, and stop extra line breaks after tables, stop printing gridlines, stop adding words to sheet names and stop making selectable graphics out of ppt master slide templates, that would be enough of an update for me, and it may be a believable alternative to Office! I doubt all that will happen though - fullscreen and versions support, sure, but nothing to support compatibility.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Well, after yesterday's release of iCloud's web apps, with iWork included in those apps, we know that Apple is intending to get our synced iWork docs on the Mac in at least one form. I doubt they'd limit it to the browser, so it seems more likely now that the iWork desktop suite will be updated, too.

talmy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Well, after yesterday's release of iCloud's web apps, with iWork included in those apps, we know that Apple is intending to get our synced iWork docs on the Mac in at least one form.
They "Lionized" iWork without releasing a new version, with the only changes being support for Versions, Lion Full Screen, Autosave and Resume. No reason at this point to expect anything other than a similar patch to support iCloud.

Frankly, other than to provide a conduit between a Mac and an iOS device, I really don't see how iCloud has anything to offer for iWork. But we will know more, I guess, when it is released.