New iWork for Lion MUST be coming.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by talmy, Jul 18, 2011.

1. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Check out http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/auto-save.html

Note that they are using Pages in the examples, and that it has the Auto Save and Versions features, and from the look at the Pages window also supports full screen. The current version has none of these features (in fact Pages Full Screen is disabled in Lion!)

Conclusion -- in order for the advertising to be accurate there will be at least revised iWork when Lion is released. Perhaps even iWork '11 or '12?

2. Takuro macrumors 6502

Takuro

iLife '11 just got a modest patch via Software Update to add Lion compatibility and full-screen mode. I don't think it's really surprising if iWork gets a small update too. However, a "new" iWork may not be out for a bit.

3. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

I've thought about this too. It might just be added in an update to the current iWork. But it would be nice to see iWork get a major update, as resume and versions are fairly big features.

4. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I think it will be a free update.

Apple's going the "free updates" path, just like all iOS apps already are.

Notice how the Mac App Store shows iWorks as "iWorks" and iLife as "iLife '11"

Food for thought

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I agree. Apple wants to put pressure on other developers to put resume and versions in their apps. The best way to do is is to put them in a new iWork version, and publicize the hell out of it.

6. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I guess it became too embarrassing to put the '09 in front of it. They'll probably drop the year from now on.

7. o'glory macrumors member

That's what I was thinking. However, I don't think it will be a free update. I'm sure it will be at least around $19.99

8. talmy thread starter macrumors 601

talmy

There has never been an update price, so expect a re-purchase at $20 per app (Keynote, Numbers, Pages) and only available in the Mac App Store.

9. Cougarcat macrumors 604

They demonstrated '09 with these features at the keynote. It'll be a free point update.

10. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

How do we know it was '09? Apple has never really been secretive about iWork(see Steve using effects before they're released.)

11. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

They'll need a new iWork update eventually in order to enable iCloud syncing with iWork on iOS, anyways. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

12. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It looks identical to '09. Inspector, toolbar is all the same.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They pulled the '09 from the front of iWork and iLife some time late last year.

14. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Didn't iWork '08 look the same too? iWork 09 doesn't even work with autocorrect.

15. ATC macrumors 6502a

Not that I have anything to back this up but I also think there will be a free update pushed to make iWork Lion-optimised. Just like they did for iLife a week ago.

16. Cougarcat macrumors 604

iWork '09 added the Share menu and added some features in the Inspector palette.

17. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

If they can fix up some of the compatibility issues with Office, even just support exports to the formats it has been using since '07, and stop extra line breaks after tables, stop printing gridlines, stop adding words to sheet names and stop making selectable graphics out of ppt master slide templates, that would be enough of an update for me, and it may be a believable alternative to Office! I doubt all that will happen though - fullscreen and versions support, sure, but nothing to support compatibility.

18. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Well, after yesterday's release of iCloud's web apps, with iWork included in those apps, we know that Apple is intending to get our synced iWork docs on the Mac in at least one form. I doubt they'd limit it to the browser, so it seems more likely now that the iWork desktop suite will be updated, too.

19. talmy thread starter macrumors 601

talmy

They "Lionized" iWork without releasing a new version, with the only changes being support for Versions, Lion Full Screen, Autosave and Resume. No reason at this point to expect anything other than a similar patch to support iCloud.

Frankly, other than to provide a conduit between a Mac and an iOS device, I really don't see how iCloud has anything to offer for iWork. But we will know more, I guess, when it is released.