New iWork, iLife, Photos.app Beta this month?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Joseph H, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Joseph H macrumors 6502

I hope at the event in a few weeks we get software updates from Apple for OS X Yosemite.

iWork

[​IMG]

As seen in this image from the Yosemite GM build's trackpad settings video, the iWork icons in the dock have new icons and Pages (shown here) will be getting a new toolbar with the release of Yosemite.

This indicates the iWork apps will definitely receive updates for Yosemite, iCloud Drive, Handoff and UI changes if only to update the toolbars and icons.

iLife

The iLife suite was updated last year, but their interfaces are outmoded in the new, flatter Yosemite look. If iMovie and Garageband are updated to match Yosemite's UI, they will likely get new icons as well. They could also support iCloud Drive.

The UI changes will probably be sparse and limited to removing gradients and perhaps adding a touch of translucency.

With Photos, Apple has two real options:

OPTION 1 - iPhoto will receive a small update for Yosemite, including limited support for iCloud Photo Library

OPTION 2 - Apple will leave iPhoto and release Photos.app for Mac in Beta. Users will have the option to test Photos ahead of its public release.

[​IMG]

I hope Apple chooses Option 2 and gives users the Photos.app in beta ahead of the launch in a few months.

I also hope Apple indeed does update iMovie and Garageband's icons and UIs to flatten them and keep them consistent with Yosemite, supporting iCloud Drive, and like iWork maybe adding Handoff support.

Exciting times ahead! :)

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I just want to see the new templates. :p :D

Photos beta would be cool, although I have no plans to use it.

3. Joseph H thread starter macrumors 6502

You use iPhoto? And presumably will never use iCloud Photo Library.

I think it's quite likely Photos for Mac will debut in beta form at the iPad/Mac event.

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

I can neither confirm nor deny that there may or may not be a placeholder for Photos on the latest public beta of Yosemite. I wouldn't be surprised if Photos appears with Yosemite at Apple's event next week (October 16th).

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What event?

I believe once apple rolls out 10.10, they'll be rolling out updates to their software suites. Those updates are generally to make the apps run better under the new OS, not increased functionality, though they did promise a new photos app in the near future.

6. Joseph H thread starter macrumors 6502

They did not say near future they said early 2015.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's right, I forgot that their photos app was mentioned as a 2015 thing

9. Joseph H thread starter macrumors 6502

I bet you that they do :(

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah :(

Be a nice surprise if they didn't. It's a shame, they're great presents and keepsakes.

11. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I like how they've managed to make the iWork UI even worse.

12. MacMySongs macrumors newbie

Apple still hasn't fixed the missing initial caps feature.

Apple's initial caps bug is still there. Basically, it's just gone. And there's no way to capitalize the letter "i" when referring to the first person.

One senior advisor told me it was definitely a bug that he was able to reproduce. He said he was sending it to engineering.

Another senior advisor said "just use the shift key." Really?!
    :(