Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Thoughts on the announced jailbreak for 13.5 that includes all devices. Will you jailbreak yours? I haven't bothered to do it in a long time, but if this ends up working well I may jailbreak my daily driver 11 Pro Max just to see what has changed in the community and what has stayed the same.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Thoughts on the announced jailbreak for 13.5 that includes all devices. Will you jailbreak yours? I haven't bothered to do it in a long time, but if this ends up working well I may jailbreak my daily driver 11 Pro Max just to see what has changed in the community and what has stayed the same.
Nope because I use my iPhone for Apple pay, banking and work apps. Risking security for a few extra features wouldn't make sense for my use. Of course everyone has to make their own decision based on their needs and wants so it could be different than mine.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Nope because I use my iPhone for Apple pay, banking and work apps. Risking security for a few extra features wouldn't make sense for my use. Of course everyone has to make their own decision based on their needs and wants so it could be different than mine.
This is the general sentiment nowadays I think. Identity theft is such a huge issue that it's just not worth the risk. Not only do I use my phone for banking and paying bills, most of my investments are managed via mobile apps as well.

The only thing I can think of that I really want through a jailbreak is getting rid of the damn full screen takeover when receiving a call. Even that has kind of waned for me as I recently changed my phone number because of all the spam calls and texts I was being bombarded with and haven't been bothered since (knocking wood).

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
This is the general sentiment nowadays I think. Identity theft is such a huge issue that it's just not worth the risk. Not only do I use my phone for banking and paying bills, most of my investments are managed via mobile apps as well.

The only thing I can think of that I really want through a jailbreak is getting rid of the damn full screen takeover when receiving a call. Even that has kind of waned for me as I recently changed my phone number because of all the spam calls and texts I was being bombarded with and haven't been bothered since (knocking wood).
I have "Silence Unknown Callers" turned on because some days I'll get five or six spam calls. This isn't an option if you have to accept calls from people not in your address book but in my case anyone calling me should be there. If not they can leave a voicemail or send a text so I can add them.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've had jailbroken iPhones since the 3GS and iOS 5. I still maintain my iPhone 6s+ which is jailbroken on iOS 9.0.2. That device was used as my primary device until May of 2019 and I had Apple Pay working on it for a couple of years (I'm on Android as my primary phone now).

I suppose it's possible that some rogue POS device might attack your device and steal your info, but I guess that just comes down to your personal situation. Whenever I used Apple Pay it was mainly McDonalds and retail stores. In any case, fear of being compromised via Apple Pay because I'm jailbroken was never a thing for me.

I still have a long list of stuff Apple won't let me do. Will be jailbreaking my iPad 6 Gen (the only devices I have running iOS 13) when this comes out.
[automerge]1590164715[/automerge]
I come from android my first iphone is iphone x. Is jailbreak similar to rooting if so then I might as well do it, iphone feels way too locked for me
No, it's not the same.

Rooting means you can do whatever you want to the device, while jailbreaking simply allows you to modify things within the current system.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2019
finally jailbreak one step closer to actual customization to the phone hopefully ios 14 will get there
E24CABB5-52A9-4B29-ACD7-6E96D398CBBE.png

iF34R

Contributor
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Haven't j/b a phone in years!! I'm soooo happy to finally have a theme on the screen!

Just need to install a few tweaks here and there and make it all pretty again!!

Reactions: eyoungren

roflc0pter

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2010
Only issue I have with jailbreaking is the fact that you have to stay on that iOS version. Must have security update, bug fixes, and new feature from new update builds.

infelix

macrumors member
May 23, 2020
I used to jailbreak my old devices but nowadays I just don't see the point anymore, for me personally. The few advantages doesn't outweigh the disadvantages for me.

Reactions: srf4real

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Only issue I have with jailbreaking is the fact that you have to stay on that iOS version. Must have security update, bug fixes, and new feature from new update builds.
Oh, iOS 9.0.2 on a 6s+ isn't so bad! :)
[automerge]1590340322[/automerge]
I used to jailbreak my old devices but nowadays I just don't see the point anymore, for me personally. The few advantages doesn't outweigh the disadvantages for me.
Everyone is different. As I mentioned above, I still have a laundry list of items that Apple doesn't allow stock.

Reactions: Geert76

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
This doesn’t apply if you have an iPhone X or below.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Not this time. I’m happy with 13.5 and besides theme options, many of the cool things are really baked into the iOS now. My outlook changed when jailbreak lost Cydia support and none of the old school tweaks are even supported or downloadable anymore. Plus, it’s just too much work nowadays to know who I should trust. That, and Apple Pay, banking apps would not work right. I guess I’m getting too old and responsible to be bothered lol

Kford

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2020
I did jailbreak but soon found out my banking app would no longer work . Straight away removed jailbreak thinking could be a security issue . Have since upgraded to iOS 13.5.1 to make sure my phone is secure again .

Reactions: TiggrToo

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Wow, Lots to unpack here…

many of the cool things are really baked into the iOS now.
Yes, Apple has baked a lot of their watered down, does not compare to real JB tweaks stuff into iOS.

Or can you really say that stock Quick Reply beats BiteSMS? Stock call/SMS blocking beats iBlacklist? Nightshift beats f.lux?

The ONLY one I will give you is Apple's version of Dark Mode. But it took them 13 versions of iOS to get to. I had dark mode on iOS 6.

My outlook changed when jailbreak lost Cydia support
unc0ver 5 supports Cydia. It's on my homescreen.

and none of the old school tweaks are even supported or downloadable anymore.
This goes back to your first comment about things being baked in. When you settle and accept what Apple is willing to give you instead of what a JB tweak offers, then there is less support for the better JB tweaks and the devs go away. It's a vicious cycle, but only Apple wins because they don't have to give us what the JB tweaks actually did.

And people are actually happy with that.

Plus, it’s just too much work nowadays to know who I should trust.
Huh? Default repos.

That, and Apple Pay, banking apps would not work right.
Really? I have a jailbroken 6s+ on 9.0.2 and Apple Pay works just fine. Maybe you have some other issue?

I guess I’m getting too old and responsible to be bothered lol
So what I'm hearing you say is that jailbreaking is only for the young and the irresponsible? Is that right?

Well, I have two teenage kids, a wife, a mortgage, and a full time job. I'm still into jailbreaking and using tech. I find the time for it because it's a priority of mine, it's what I'm interested in.

I'm old and responsible and I will continue to bother with jailbreaking.

Everything you've said boils down to one thing. You just aren't interested any more. And that's fine, it's the correct choice for you. I'm just objecting to the implication that jailbreaking isn't something responsible adults would be engaged in.
[automerge]1591290973[/automerge]
I did jailbreak but soon found out my banking app would no longer work . Straight away removed jailbreak thinking could be a security issue . Have since upgraded to iOS 13.5.1 to make sure my phone is secure again .
Are you in the habit of visiting sketchy websites? Are you also in the habit of handing an unlocked device over to a stranger and letting them disappear with it for hours on end?

If not, I don't see your point about security.

Reactions: dk001 and Geert76

Kford

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2020
Wow, Lots to unpack here…

Yes, Apple has baked a lot of their watered down, does not compare to real JB tweaks stuff into iOS.

Or can you really say that stock Quick Reply beats BiteSMS? Stock call/SMS blocking beats iBlacklist? Nightshift beats f.lux?

The ONLY one I will give you is Apple's version of Dark Mode. But it took them 13 versions of iOS to get to. I had dark mode on iOS 6.

unc0ver 5 supports Cydia. It's on my homescreen.

This goes back to your first comment about things being baked in. When you settle and accept what Apple is willing to give you instead of what a JB tweak offers, then there is less support for the better JB tweaks and the devs go away. It's a vicious cycle, but only Apple wins because they don't have to give us what the JB tweaks actually did.

And people are actually happy with that.

Huh? Default repos.

Really? I have a jailbroken 6s+ on 9.0.2 and Apple Pay works just fine. Maybe you have some other issue?

So what I'm hearing you say is that jailbreaking is only for the young and the irresponsible? Is that right?

Well, I have two teenage kids, a wife, a mortgage, and a full time job. I'm still into jailbreaking and using tech. I find the time for it because it's a priority of mine, it's what I'm interested in.

I'm old and responsible and I will continue to bother with jailbreaking.

Everything you've said boils down to one thing. You just aren't interested any more. And that's fine, it's the correct choice for you. I'm just objecting to the implication that jailbreaking isn't something responsible adults would be engaged in.
[automerge]1591290973[/automerge]

Are you in the habit of visiting sketchy websites? Are you also in the habit of handing an unlocked device over to a stranger and letting them disappear with it for hours on end?

If not, I don't see your point about security.

Don’t do not of those but there must be a security issue if my banking app would would not log me in saying I was running a jailbreak .

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Don’t do not of those but there must be a security issue if my banking app would would not log me in saying I was running a jailbreak .
All banking apps do that. MY banking app does that. There is always that remote possibility that some actor has gained control of your iDevice and is attempting to access your banking app to fleece you of your money. Banks don't want the litigation that results from that so they detect jailbreaks on devices and then don't allow you in. But if you aren't doing anything that makes you vulnerable, this is a non-issue. And the fact that your banking app does this is in no way an indicator that some bad actor is just waiting for you to open your bank app so they can steal your money by leveraging your jailbreak.

There are tweaks that prevent apps such as your banking apps from detecting your jaibreak and that takes care of the problem.

Kford

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2020
All banking apps do that. MY banking app does that. There is always that remote possibility that some actor has gained control of your iDevice and is attempting to access your banking app to fleece you of your money. Banks don't want the litigation that results from that so they detect jailbreaks on devices and then don't allow you in. But if you aren't doing anything that makes you vulnerable, this is a non-issue. And the fact that your banking app does this is in no way an indicator that some bad actor is just waiting for you to open your bank app so they can steal your money by leveraging your jailbreak.

There are tweaks that prevent apps such as your banking apps from detecting your jaibreak and that takes care of the problem.

Should of probably joined here and asked before I got into a panic and updated to iOS 13.5.1 . I was not sure if it was safe to download stuff from cydia

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Should of probably joined here and asked before I got into a panic and updated to iOS 13.5.1 . I was not sure if it was safe to download stuff from cydia
The default sources on Cydia are safe. You just have to do your research (by asking other people) about adding other repos. A lot of repos are by known tweak designers though so there's little danger there.

Cydia has been around for a very long time. It's a business. It isn't making money any more but any danger that results from downloading a tweak or app there is because you added a sketchy repo and downloaded a sketchy tweak or app. That isn't Cydia's fault.

Finally, it doesn't help that Apple is always pushing the 'security' angle. Sure, it can be unsafe. Just like deciding to go play on the freeway during rush hour can be unsafe. If you don't put yourself there, then there is minimal risk.

verito81

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
Haven't j/b a phone in years!! I'm soooo happy to finally have a theme on the screen!

Just need to install a few tweaks here and there and make it all pretty again!!

can you tell me we’re did you see the steps to do it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.