New jailbreak 4.2.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dnvh, Nov 23, 2010.

1. dnvh macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,

I've got an issue and I can't really find an answer to it on the web so i thought i'd just ask.

I had to reset my iphone because i was going to sell it so after it was reset it got stuck on the apple logo so i had to restore it. After restoring I noticed that it had firmware 4.2.1 on it so i thought i was screwed.. After all I bought it from someone who said it was from the USA ( i live in europe) and so i thought it was unlocked. Surprisingly i could still get into the iphone with my sim.. All i had to do is jailbreak it.
    Now i see that dev team just got a new jailbreak out !
    The only problem i see is that it says if you're on an unlocked device don't jailbreak it !!

How can I know it is unlocked since the iphone still accepts my sim after an update.. ?

I hope I can just jailbreak it and move on :)

Thanks already !!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If the phone is locked to your provider it will always accept your sim and any simcard from that particular provider.
    But it will not accept any other simcards from other carriers. Call your wireless provider and find out if its locked or if they offer official unlocking on the iphone. Jailbreaking does not mean unlock.
    If you have a 3G or 3GS you might be able to unlock it again soon but not sure if it needs to be on 4.1 and not on the latest 4.2

3. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Only way you can use any sim after updating is if the iPhone is factory unlock, and if that is the case, the phone didn't come from USA since there are no factory unlock iPhone from there. On the phone, go to Settings > General > About. Tell us the version and modern firmware numbers. And, if you have a factory unlock, it will forever be unlock. Updating the firmware and JBing won't change that.