New Jawbone...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by slimsakus, Oct 22, 2008.

1. slimsakus macrumors member

I have done some searching but can't seem to nail down any real answers or other people having the same problem. Therefore this is why I am posting.

I use an iPhone 3G for personal use and Blackberry 8800 for work.

I previously had a Blueant z9 headset (upgraded with z9i firmware) and it was great. It would pair to both phones at the same time and I never worried about anything. Problem was that the call quality while driving was slightly less than ever desired on the receiving end of calls. I would get complaints that I was hard to hear and sometimes not heard at all with all the background noise.

I go and buy the New Jawbone. Why not? I am a Silver Best Buy member and I have 45 days to take it back, so I took advantage to see.

I have come across a problem that is troubling me and I can't seem to find anyone who has the same problem (at least posted online) and Jawbone support seems to be slightly ignorant at ready questions and answers.

When I pair the Jawbone with the iPhone it works. When I turn Jawbone off and then back on, it pairs with iPhone right away. When I turn Bluetooth off on iPhone and turn back on, it pairs with the Jawbone.

The same behavior can be said when pairing with the Blackberry. Everything applies as said above.

The problem is when SWITCHING between devices.

Example:
    Jawbone connected to Blackberry.
    Turn Bluetooth off on Blackberry and/or turn off Jawbone.
    Turn Bluetooth on on iPhone.
    Turn on Jawbone.
    Wait...Wait....Wait...Wait....Nothing. Never.

The Jawbone and iPhone will never connect. The only way that I have been able to connect it is to delete the iPhone pairing for Jawbone. Put Jawbone in pairing mode and pair back to phone. Then we can connect and disconnect all day.

Now switch roles. iPhone to Blackberry. Same behavior is replicated. The Blackberry will never connect to the headset. Luckily with the Blackberry, I have the option to force the pairing. Press Menu and choose 'Connect to Jawbone'. No going back to the iPhone unless I repeat above process.

So my question is, how many people have had this problem? Is there a solution? Do I have a bum headset?

My responses back and forth with Jawbone have been unsuccessful thus far. I was told to do a soft reset which I have done many times with no luck.

I also ask the question, how come Apple has not put a feature in the iPhone to force the connection? The little status is spinning like it is looking for a headset. But it never finds it. Why?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to the input.

~Ryan

2. Slovak macrumors regular

I have the same issue on my first gen Jawbone and iPhone 3G. My PC always reconnected to the headset successfully, but every time I want to use it again with the phone, I have to delete the pairing and then pair the two devices again.

I just got the old MPB and found out the microphone buzzes terribly in Skype as well. I can hear people, but can't use the mic.

3. slimsakus thread starter macrumors member

So you're the only other person who experiences this or has a Jawbone?

I wonder why Apple has given the option to force a connection? Seems like an obvious one to do.

4. Slovak macrumors regular

I am not sure if I am the only one, but this has been my experience from day 1 when I got my iPhone. It was never an issue with my BB / PC setup, so I don't believe it is a Jawbone issue. I've got a Genius bar appointment today so I will inquire about this issue.

5. slimsakus thread starter macrumors member

It will be interesting to hear what they say. Thanks.

6. Slovak macrumors regular

Spent 2 hours with a genius yesterday. I have to say, my first experience with Apple customer service was excellent. This guy was definitely a geek, and I mean it as a huge compliment.

In regards to the Jawbone: he just removed it from my Bluetooth settings, then we paired it up again with my MBP, and it worked like a charm. I must have done that myself half-a-dozen times myself, but this time it really worked. So I am all set for using it with Skype, etc.

As to the pairing with iPhone, they didn't have a good answer. He said he would expect it to recognize previously paired devices, but since there is no way to force a connection, I think we are relegated to unpairing and pairing up the headset with the phone each time iPhone doesn't recognize it.

7. matperk macrumors 6502

I was curious about this. I read this from the Jawbone website:

Also to get it working with the phone again I had to reset the jawbone.

8. Slovak macrumors regular

Mine seems to work fine with the MBP (early 2008), except sometimes I don't have sound in. I have to disconnect, reconnect. Or reboot. No the optimal situation.

9. hoosadam macrumors newbie

hey Ryan - I have the exact same issue! I have an iPhone 3g and an BB 8310 curve and it's driving me nuts. Did you ever get a solution?