New Job Advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by vorbb, Oct 20, 2010.

1. vorbb macrumors member

Hey guys,

I'm 18. Today I got a new job; I start monday. My only work experience has been in restaurants, so this is a fairly big change for me. I'm going to be a junior programmer and tech support/IT guy for a small (about 20-25 people) tech company.

Anyways, I'm basically just looking for general advice; what do you wish someone told you when you first started working in a business setting?

Thanks guys!

2. nizz macrumors regular

make sure you watch college football and/or nfl games so you can join in on conversations.

i would say 99% of the offices out there chat about that stuff 99% of the time lol

3. Big Dave macrumors 6502

I've read some books on this kind of stuff.
    The first 90 days of a new job are the most important, so be sure to appear eager and attentive. Show up a little early and stay a little late.

4. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

quoted for truth. Honestly, just be open and make friends since you will be spending a lot of time with your co-workers. At my job its prob 40% actually work and 60% b.s'ing w/ everyone (its usually pretty slow).

5. vorbb thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, alright. Working in a sports bar, and being a fairly avid sports-better, I should fit in pretty good :p

They have some big plans for me, I hope I meet their expectations!

One thing I'm kind of concerned about is the fact that they're planning on sending me on a business trip two weeks after I start. Of course, it's not very far, but they're sending me on a two hour train ride to the head office for a couple days; alone.

Pretty scary stuff.

6. Big Dave macrumors 6502

Don't sweat it. They wouldn't spend the money if you didn't deserve it. Walk around the head office like you are supposed to be there, because you are. Congratulations on the new job and I am sure you will do fine.

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You haven't spent much time (if any) in IT, huh?

OP, what is your background in programming/IT?

8. vorbb thread starter macrumors member

I don't really have a professional background. I'm currently taking a year off between high school and a Computer Science program in University. I'm excellent with computers, and have experience in Systems Administration and some basic programming experience.

They're basically treating it as a Co-Op position, but out of school. They're technically an environmental company, so the government is subsidizing part of my salary. That's why they're hiring me with no formal experience.

Thanks for the advice and kind words!

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Drama follows you everywhere. Seems the older they get the more drama there is and politics are alive and well.

Work hard, keep your nose down but up just enough to make nice nice and don't get too cocky.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

word of the wise is stay out of office gossip and do not join in. Listening in to it is one thing but do not spread it around or add to it. never talk bad about a co-worker because it can easily come back to bit you in the rear later.

11. vorbb thread starter macrumors member

Seems like good advice. I've been in for two interviews and a tour/meet-and-greet, and everyone seems really great and likeable and friendly. I don't imagine there will be too much negative drama and gossip, but if there is, I'll surely stay out of it.

12. nizz macrumors regular

Yeah, you're right. I've never been in IT. What do they talk about over there out of curiosity? Upcoming Cataclysm features vs Deathwing?

13. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Nothing, think basement and gaming. :D

That is of course a stereotype. :p

Oh and congratulations on the job, just be yourself. :)

14. vorbb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

It's funny that you said that. During my initial interview, me and the guy that will be my boss got in to a fairly heated discussion over the merits of the FAMAS vs. the M16 in Modern Warfare 2 :rolleyes:

15. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Be friendly, trustworthy, diligent, responsible, and thorough. Basically, let your work speak for you. Avoid unnecessary conflict (which includes the gossip advice already mentioned) and listen, listen, listen.

No matter what field you are in or where you work, employment will bring with it challenges and stress. Keep your focus on the parts of your job that you like and don't dwell on things you don't like or get caught up in negativity. You'll enjoy your work much more if you can do this.

Last, maintain healthy boundaries between work and personal matters. You need to have time physically and emotionally away from your job, don't let them negatively interfere with each other. But, keep in mind that this is a two way street, do your best not to let personal matters interefere with work either.

Congrats on the position. Best wishes to your enjoyment and your success. :)

16. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Thats good advice, but Id also say to extend that attitude beyond 90 days..

Also, at least in the short term dont second guess your boss no matter how stupid you think something they ask you to do is. I know theres probably a fineline here, but often a boss/supervisor will have you do stupid, mundane tasks at first just to see what your work ethic is like..

Dress like everyone else, if its casual dress casual, but not too casual, if its professional dress professional.

Bathe and shave everyday, youd be surprised how many people I see (and smell) daily at my corporate pharma job that dont do this.

Dont wear tons of cologne/aftershave, especially if its a small office situation.

ABove all be nice... :)

I could go on, but they key thing is, especially since its a small company is to work hard, try and fit in, and not make yourself stand out.

Later on, (like 6 months to a year) when you have shown that you are competent you can start to "challenge" your boss.

17. mitu8896 macrumors newbie

New one

I think your advice is not bad. I've been in for two interviews and a tour/meet-and-greet, and everyone seems really great and likeable and friendly.

18. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Amen. Its a small office, but still large enough for people to talk.

Its a small group and you're the new guy. Listen and join into the conversation if invited but don't be to eager to make everyone your friend.

Take time to gauge the personalities of the people you work. What you find funny, they may not. What you find offensive, they might support. The last thing you want to do is make yourself the outsider right from the start.

You have two ears and only one mouth. Use one twice as much as the other.

And good luck, sounds like a great opportunity.