new job...new iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by azRieLThaNe, Mar 1, 2012.

1. azRieLThaNe macrumors newbie

the title is a little misleading...I'm not really getting a "new" one, I'm getting my first one. The thing is, I just got accepted as a trainee video editor in a production company. They're using Adobe premier CS 5 and CS 3 on Win 7. I've been thinking of getting a PC, but I've read that Macs are very good with media.

I also do a bit of online tutoring so, definitely Skype and Chrome (I'm willing to try out Safari) Basically I'll be doing these things:

1. Video editing (using Adobe CS3 and/or CS5)
    2. Skype
    3. Chrome/Safari (a lot of tabs...and I mean like 30+)
    4. Media playing (movies and music)
    5. Documents (word/excel/powerpoint)

I'm thinking of getting the iMac, as I'm at the desk most of the time. (I'm home based btw) which one should I get? and should I set it up for dual boot or parallel?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd check and see if getting a Mac means buying your own CS licenses as opposed to using your company's Windows license first.

3. azRieLThaNe thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh...I haven't thought about that

Thanks!:D

4. willieva macrumors 6502

If you're going to be working for a place that uses pc's and need to be able to use word/excel/powerpoint, you should probably get a pc. If there is a mix of pc and mac users at work that would be different, but you don't want to be the new guy who's stuff doesn't quite work like everyone else's.

5. azRieLThaNe thread starter macrumors newbie

There is a mix, however its mostly PCs. Regarding word/excel/powerpoint, I have an ASUS netbook which does the job. My primary concern is the video editing capacity of the iMac and whether or not I should get parallels or have it dual boot

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

My old 2007 MBP can handle 50 tabs.

2011 quad MBP handles 100+ tabs easily. (I use flash blocker).

Video editing is better on Mac. Just go to the best youtube channels and see what they use. Just about all use Macs.