new keyboard, as weird as it looks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LDB, Oct 18, 2008.

1. LDB macrumors member

LDB

How easy is it to get used to the very strange keyboard? I'm used to my pc keyboard with the keys all touching and concerned about typos with the new keyboard.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Erm, it's the same keyboard layout as virtually all PC keyboards, there's no difference really, just because the keys look a bit different doesn't mean it requires a PHD to use it...

3. LDB thread starter macrumors member

LDB

It's a qwerty keyboard but there's a gap between the keys. Compare this kbd to the kbd of the 17" MBP that's still touching keys like all computer kbds until a year or two ago.

4. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

It's not as strange as it looks. If you take a look at a regular notebook key cap the center pad (part that you actually touch) is the same size as the MB key cap. The skirt around the keys is more decoration since it's tough to press a key around the perimeter. The chicklet key caps eliminate the wasted plastic and effectively give your fingers more room to type.

5. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Try it at a store. I'm used to the usual PC keyboard and like MacBook's very much. No problem typing with my eyes closed (my favorite test of new keyboard ;)). However many other people here complain about it, so I suppose it's a matter of preference. You aren't going to know without trying.

6. azdmelani macrumors member

7. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

new keyboard is great and very modern design + plus easier to clean

8. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

The chiclet keyboard is the best keyboard I have ever used. Its hard for me to even use a regular keyboard now.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've actually found it easier to type on the newer style keyboards with what is perceived as 'extra space' around the keys. typing is a breeze.

10. LDB thread starter macrumors member

LDB

I tried one at the store the other day but only briefly. It was different for sure and didn't seem as intuitive to me. I've also tried the old style MBP which is easier to me. I'm sure I can get used to it and with all the scare over the video in the last MBP I think I'll pass on anything with that 8600 in it. In that case it makes the new MB look like another suspect.

11. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Once you get used to it, it's hard to like any other keyboard. I love the travel and bounce of the keys.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i love your signature...i say the same thing to people about the bible.

13. LDB thread starter macrumors member

LDB

Thanks. I've used that sig for several years now. I just wish everyone followed the principle.