Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
I’m asking this again. When will we have a new MacBook Pro with a good keyboard? Needing a 15 inch Pro, want it new, but can’t stand butterfly BS.

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
I’m asking this again. When will we have a new MacBook Pro with a good keyboard? Needing a 15 inch Pro, want it new, but can’t stand butterfly BS.

"Butterfly" isn't synonymous to "unreliable".
Heck, it doesn't even necessarily mean low key travel, which some people seem to dislike.

I've yet to see data to suggests the 2019 iteration is any less reliable than previous "Scissor" keyboards.

Should Apple actually decide to go back to a scissor-type mechanism for whatever reason (PR would be one), that won't magically give you better reliability. And if you expect increased key travel, prepare for disappointment.

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
The butterfly keyboard replacement and extended warranty programs indicate otherwise.

I'm willing to believe the 2016 iteration of the "butterfly" keyboard may have had significantly higher failure rates than previous "scissor" keyboards, although mine's been fine.

However I strongly doubt Apple would continue selling millions of Mac notebooks with catastrophic keyboard failure rates. That's quite a lot of free top case replacements..

Post-2016 models being included in the warranty program seems more like a PR move than anything else.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016

Nobody here can give you a firm answer on that.

The rumoured 16" apparently may have a new keyboard mechanism. It could be assumed that if the 16" doe appear, and if it has a new keyboard, then we'll get a new 15" with new keyboard at some point too. But there are no firm details, nothing but speculation.

May as well ask your magic 8 ball.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.