New keyboard doing odd things with mbp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevo8, Mar 15, 2009.

1. stevo8 macrumors 6502

I picked up a new wired keyboard for my old mbp today since I got tired of replacing batteries. Plugged it in and now some keys arent doing what they should. The volume keys bring up the widgets, show all windows and remove all windows. All the letters and numbers work(its the smaller one with no numeric keypad) its just the F keys that dont do what they should.

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Try going to System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse>the Keyboard tab and see if the "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" is checked. If so, uncheck it and see if that helps.

By the way, did you jump from the white keyboards to the newer aluminum ones?

3. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried that and it didnt do anything... :(

Yeah I went from the old white and clear one to the new aluminum one without the keypad.

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Wow, thought that would definitely be the problem. Have you checked to see if there is something for the keyboard in Software Update?

5. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

yep, and nothing. Ill take the manual with me to work and read through it.. See what it says if anything.

6. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

It should be a simple "plug-n-play" keyboard. I went from a wired white keyboard to a wired aluminum and didn't have a problem. Sorry I wasn't able to help you. If you find a fix, let us know!

7. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Bump... Anyone else have any ideas? It's real frustrating cause that's the keyboard/computer I use for my DVD/CD player.

8. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

9. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

When I bought the keyboard, it plugged right in and worked right away. I'd try rebooting and installing the drivers.