New keyboard has different "media keys" than the macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mainstreetmark, Aug 7, 2007.

1. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Compared to the macbook, it looks like Expose moved to F3, Dashboard moved to F4, volume got moved from F3-F5 to F9-F12, and some new pause/rew/ff keys got added in the F6-F8 zones.

Ugh.

2. CPPhoto macrumors member

and apparently they also got rid of the numeric keypad on the wireless version as well. Looks like a lot of mac owners are going to grab up the old wireless keyboards while they are still some places

3. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I'm so glad there's finally a keyboard that has only the keys I need. I haven't used numeric keypads since I worked at the register in a grocery store as teenager...

The new design is much better imho, with the space key in the middle and closer access to the mouse by a few inches.

I imagine many mac owners are going to *replace* their old keyboards *because* the new ones only have the essentials!

4. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Yeah, but my gripe is, that it's a *different* layout than the current *books. I hate inconsistency. What was the reasoning to not put the volume keys at F3-F5, where it's been on the Books for years? Its disgusting.

Also, I love those keyboards. I wish i didn't have to switch back to XP (due to lack of RS-232 (and unreliable USB<->RS-232))

5. vandlism macrumors 6502

so does this make the wireless keyboard incompatible with the macbook? it looks that way...

6. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

yeah but it excludes the chemistry, finance, econ, psychology, etc. major students who need to use excel or similar software for inputing numerical data. It sucks to reach above and than back down for a number with a decimal or something.

Oh well, i'll just look into the wired keyboard or maybe the Logitech S30. I think apple would've just been smarter to include a removed numpad for the wireless keyboard like the "Logitech Dinovia" or something..

[​IMG]

But obv. Apple wants to create the most amount of profit possible, so it's going to add blue tooth ($5-$10 realistic cost to add), increase the price by $30 and get rid of the numpad so they need less materials, increasing their profit margin.