New Keyboard has really neat unmentioned feature.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
As noted when you use the new keyboard when you pull down on a key you get the greyed item on that key. However, not mentioned is that certain keys have hidden items on them needed for languages other then English. Swiping up will get you the following results.

L= Ł
O= ôòöóœõøō
E= ēêèéęëė
Y= ÿ
U= Ūùûüú
I= ì į í î ï ī
A= ãåāàáâäæ
S= šßś
Z= żžź
C= čçć
N= ñń
,= '
.= "

MacDevil7334

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I believe that feature has been around since iPhone OS 1.0 (or a very long time at least). In the past it has been accessed by a long press on the key.

Reactions: bluefloor

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010
I believe that feature has been around since iPhone OS 1.0 (or a very long time at least). In the past it has been accessed by a long press on the key.
True. Not sure about 1.0 but I have been using that feature for many years.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
The two posts above are correct. Long press has always (or nearly always) shown accented characters and swipe up doesn’t do that now (or at least I can’t get it to work) - you still have to long press. There are a couple of keys that do something with this swipe up though, the ones which long press only offers one character. The !/, key produces ' on swipe up and the ?/. produces ". Of course both of those are now available with swipe down on k and l just above so they’re of kinda dubious value.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
Checking on my iPhone 7+ which I have not upgraded I find that you all are right. I found this today by accidentally swiping up, and since I’ve never had to use it before I didn’t know it was available.

I do think the new keyboard is awesome even though I’m having a little learning experience in using it.

Reactions: Feenician

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
And not just iOS. This long press feature works on a mac as well.

(and extra tip -- the degree (temp) " ° " symbol is hiding under the 0 key on iOS...)

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010
Checking on my iPhone 7+ which I have not upgraded I find that you all are right. I found this today by accidentally swiping up, and since I’ve never had to use it before I didn’t know it was available.

I do think the new keyboard is awesome even though I’m having a little learning experience in using it.
What new keyboard? What am I missing?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
What new keyboard? What am I missing?
The stock keyboard on the iPad now allows you to do a short swipe down on the key to type the symbol that you would see if you switched keyboards. It’s very fast when you internalize it.

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010
The stock keyboard on the iPad now allows you to do a short swipe down on the key to type the symbol that you would see if you switched keyboards. It’s very fast when you internalize it.
Ohh. Me no have iPad. :)