new keyboard on top of MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nermal0, Aug 17, 2007.

1. nermal0 macrumors regular

I've swapped my MB for a MBP. I really liked the keyboard on the MB and I am intrigued to get one of those new USB keyboards to use it with my MBP.

The problem now is that I have a tiny desk and not enough space to put the keyboard in front of my MBP (plus some space for my wrists). Also, the screen is harder to read when it's sitting further away from me. So here's my (possibly silly) question:

Did anyone try to put the USB keyboard on top of the MBP's keyboard? Does it fit, is typing possible, or does it wobble around? Or is that idea just stupid?

Thanks!

2. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

i don't see why you wouldn't just use the MBP then......

but the MBP seems pretty flat.

the keyboard would probably hang over the edges and it could be akward with the transition from desk to MBP and MBP to keyboard.

idk, i don't think anyone has ever tried this.

if you elevated the MBP, wouldn't you get the same effect you do with a keyboard and elevated keys?

the new keyboard is awsome btw :D

3. devman macrumors 65816

devman

No, that won't work. Get a stand like a griffin elevator and put the keyboard on the desk. You'll also get the screen higher which is much better ergonomically.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

actually i'm kinda doing that right now. i have the keyboard sitting on top of the palm rest and track pad though, it's not on top of my mbp keyboard. i have a mighty mouse plugged into the keyboard also.

it works great. i can post a pic if you'd like

5. nermal0 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your comments! twoodcc, are there any issues with the keyboard not sitting properly or with pressing down keys on the internal keyboard while your type? Can you move it all the way up so you can use the touchpad?

My MBPs keyboard layout is German, and I'd like to buy an Australian USB keyboard to put on top of it, as the key locations are much better for programming...

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i just got the keyboard last night, but so far so good. even though it goes over the edge of my mbp, it doesn't start to tilt at all.

you can put it over the keyboard, but it seems better over the trackpad. you can use the regular keyboard at any time

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yikes, I wouldn't put anything like that on top of my baby.