New Keyboard & Trackpad Cheap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Radiating, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Radiating, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014

Radiating macrumors 65816

I just upgraded from a Mid 2012 MacBook Air to a Early 2014 MacBook Air and the keyboard and trackpad sound much more plasticky when pressing them. It feels like they are much cheaper and noticeably less nice, and the keys and trackpad buttons feel harsher to use and seem to take more effort.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

Did apple cut costs yet again with these or do they just need to be broken in?

2. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Nope.

Different laptops have slightly different keyboards, it's just how they're made.

3. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Could it be that you are just more used to the 'worn in' keyboard and trackpad on your old Air?

4. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

Well I noticed that trackpad is noticeably louder on 2013MBA than on 2011MBA, so it's possibly the same when comparing 2012 and 2014 models. I reckon what they did, is slightly increased the trackpad area which is clickable (without the need to use excessive force/pressure), but that made it louder and not as sturdy.

5. w00d macrumors member

I've noticed a small amount of variance in the feel of keyboards and trackpads in Apple laptops (when comparing same model / same year). I had a 2013 MBA with an weird keyboard, the keys just felt loose, and were much noisier than I thought they should be. I replaced it and the next one was better.

The trackpad might be adjustable... at least it used to be. There is probably still a screw inside that adjusts the click pressure (but I haven't opened up a MBA recently).

6. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

For the technically inclined, I believe there is an adjustment screw for the trackpad to adjust the 'click'. It's a tri-wing screw (special tool/bit). It's used to adjust the trackpad height into the case when replacing or installing trackpad. Possible to adjust this to a comfort level? I don't recommend messing with it just to mess with it, as it will affect operation possibly, but maybe its possible that it's not adjusted properly. Check iFixIt website for detail. Obviously it involves opening up the casing, and may involve removing battery, so this would be a warranty issue.

If you're not satisfied with it, possible to visit Apple store and ask for it to be checked for proper adjustment. I noticed on my 2013 MBA 13" that it was more clicky and stiff at first, but over a few months, it has either settled in, or I have become numb to it. Just use it.