New keyboard/trackpad with old Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Richdmoore, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

i read today that the new keyboard/mouse/trackpad requires Bluetooth 4.0, which older macs do not have.

USB 4.0 dongles are available however fairly cheaply. Has anyone attempted to use one of those to connect these new devices on unsupported macs yet?

2. essiw macrumors member

This is not stated on the apple website, I also saw comments on a dutch forum that since bluetooth is backwards compatible it will work with older devices as well, just not as fast as with bluetooth 4. I am wondering if someone can clear this up...

3. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Good to know that it is still to be determined for older macs. Hopefully we will know soon if it will work out of the box or not.

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

i just checked the keyboard and trackpad, the trackpad says BT 4.0 Mac, the keyboard is just BT Mac. Both need OS X 10.11 though.

5. essiw macrumors member

^Would make sense as the trackpad has Force Touch (when will they decide on the term lol) while the keyboard is just a normal keyboard.

6. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

"Bluetooth 4.0-enabled Mac computer with OS X v10.11 or later"

So this won't work with my 2011 macbook!?

7. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

The track pad page it states:
    "Bluetooth 4.0-enabled Mac computer with OS X v10.11 or later"

8. essiw macrumors member

I know now, though I was looking at the keyboard page because I am not interested in the new trackpad and assumed they are the same.

9. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

That's why I am hoping I can just add a dongle like this:

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Blueto.../dp/B007GFX0PY/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

One problem I foresee is that previous OS X systems only allowed one Bluetooth host device. I was able to use an app called Bluetooth Explorer, that allowed me to select between the internal and USB Bluetooth. The downside was that after repairing the (old) keyboard/trackpad to the USB Bluetooth I lost the ability to do the boot key presses such as option to select between OS X & boot camp, or enable recovery mode. I assume this was due to lack of firmware support before OS X loaded?

To be fair, I have not played with it recently to troubleshoot the USB dongle further.

Maybe this has changed in El Capitan to allow two active Bluetooth dongles at the same time? Probably not, but I have not tested.

Ideal setup for me would be to have the internal Bluetooth run the keyboard (to keep boot key presses active), and the external dongle run the new magic trackpad to add the force touch features, if possible.

10. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

I've read that 4.0 Bluetooth dongles aren't recognized on old macs

11. No-Me macrumors 6502a

I assume that it will work on every mac with USB since it also works with the lightning cable.

12. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

Good point.

I guess either way it would take up a USB port

13. Macalway macrumors 68000

was going to say it will work, but I'm not so sure. There's probably a point of no return.