New keyboard wear

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fazzl, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

The right side of my spacebar where I click the most is showing some wear. Like it is shinnied than the rest and it is kinda noticable. Anyone else have this poblem? Never happened with my old SR MBP.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Is it actual wering of the plastic or is it residue from oil on your fingers? Try a q-tip with a bit rubbing alcohol to see if it will clean off.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

To be honest I had this in less than 30 days of owning my first chicklet keyboard notebook. Previously I had a PB with aluminum keys. The spacebar shows signs of wear but not that much. My hands are generally clean but I cannot say free of oils as that is virtually impossible with the human body.

Anyway, yes I find it to be quite normal.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah get used to it cuz this is normal wear and tear on these new black keyboards on the unibodies.

It looks crap but the good thing is you can only noticed it if you look at an angle.

5. vanc macrumors 6502

Possibly that's the oily residue from fingers.

6. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Might want to get a keyboard protector if it bothers you, I might get one myself.

7. trondah macrumors 6502

I just got a moshi clearguard from www.moshimonde.com, and I gotta say it's awesome. Had it on from day one and my uMBP's keyboard looks brand new when I take it off. It's extremely thin and see-through so you don't really notice it when it's on. Easy to take off and clean. Really a must have, can't see how I did without one before.

8. Sdancott macrumors regular

Sdancott

How could the Keyboard possibly wear that much?

Surely it's just oil from your fingers?

9. Moles macrumors newbie

Every keyboard I have or have had in the past have worn spacebars. The ones with textured keys are the worst in all honesty. It is just a fact of use. If you go through the cubes of all the engineers I work with, you can see external keyboards and laptops, almost all have worn spacebars on the right side of the key where the thumb hits. It doesn't look great, but it does show you are using your expensive piece of hardware...keep it up.

10. Joemero macrumors regular

That Moshi cleargaurd looks fantastic, especially since I splashed a little water on my kb yesterday. However, I think I read in the mac manual that the keyboard serves as a vent? wouldn't covering with that cleargaurd cause overheating problems? Just curious.

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Normal wear and tear. Happens with every keyboard out there on any device. It's REALLY bad if your a heavy typer. I blow through keyboards like you wouldnt believe. (Although the Logitech DiNovo edge actually went a full 2 months ( ! ) without me seeing a bit of wear!) I usually see wear in about 3 - 7 days no lie. You should see my brand new work keyboard.

12. trondah macrumors 6502

This does not seem true for the new MBP, my temps have stayed the same after applying Moshi clearguard, and every review I've seen says the same. The vent is below the screen btw, the keyboard might have been intake at some point I don't know but it doesn't seem to be now.

13. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I hate oily and greasy looking keyboards, so got this Moshi clearguard... works really, really great. Get it. ;)

Sounds kinda OCD to get a keyboard protector, but it's worth it, me thinks.

14. kai920 macrumors member

I bought a clear plastic case that came with a decent silicon keyboard protector. I'm loving both :D (but of course not as much as my MBP)

Out of curiosity, does the trackpad also suffer from wear and tear?

15. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

It's glass, so prob not.