Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bart H

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Central Virginia
I am considering the new 4K Retina iMac. Currently I use an Apple wired mouse with my old iMac and wonder if it will work with the new Retina?

Also, the new wireless keyboard seems to have shrunk the up and down arrows and made them very close together. Has this change been an issue to anyone? I use those keys a lot.

antman2x2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
New YAWK
Yes your mouse will work.

And I'm pretty sure the arrows in the middle didn't shrink, I think the left and right arrows just match the height of the up and down arrows now.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Also, the new wireless keyboard seems to have shrunk the up and down arrows and made them very close together. Has this change been an issue to anyone? I use those keys a lot.

This is why I ordered my iMac with the wired keyboard with numeric keypad. I don't mind the bigger footprint, and I use the arrows and numeric keypad a lot. I'm sure the new wireless keyboard is nice, but not for me.

Bart H

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Central Virginia
9 to 5 Mac has a photo of the new KB, showing that four keys have essentially become three. The up/down split button is the same size as either of the left/right keys.

The photo is about 10 articles down from the top.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Your old peripherals will work on the new machine. Personally I detest the wireless keyboard. It's unnecessarily cramped for a desktop (and I have tiny fingers). You'll have to take my wired full sized Apple KB out of my cold dead hands.

theosg

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2015
Bay Area
9 to 5 Mac has a photo of the new KB, showing that four keys have essentially become three. The up/down split button is the same size as either of the left/right keys.

I think I get the point you're making: it is no longer an upside down T configuration like the MBP I'm using to type this.
But it _is_ still 4 buttons.
I'm still enjoying my wired apple keyboard on 2012 mac mini at home and a Logitech wireless solar keyboard 750 at work. The 750 occasionally goes for $49 on Amazon prime, which I'd get again over the "Magic" keyboard.
Toil and trouble indeed.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Despite being a gaming company, I'd still say it's worth taking a look at Razer keyboards. If my Nostromo is anything to go by, the keys feel just as good as the alum keyboard I have, and there are even silent-buckle variants which I'd seriously consider if I ever needed a new keyboard.

If buying a second-hand alum keyboard isn't an option, of course.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I've been using Apples wired mouse & keyboard for years on the Mac Pro in my office. It's so good I have no desire to change it.

Yet that said I also like the somewhat smaller MBP / MBA keyboards, I have no problem acclimating when switching back and forth.

I do think Apple does an excellent job on keyboards. Even my new MacBook with its shallow travel keys was easy to adapt to.

Reactions: AdeFowler

Bart H

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Central Virginia
Your old peripherals will work on the new machine. Personally I detest the wireless keyboard. It's unnecessarily cramped for a desktop (and I have tiny fingers). You'll have to take my wired full sized Apple KB out of my cold dead hands.

Thanks. I often use the up and down keys on my wired, 'stretch' keyboard to scroll in order to take my hand off the mouse for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.