Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keysmark

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but since is concerns peripherals connected to my Macbook Pro, I decided to post it here.

I have a new kitten who likes to hop up on my desk and start to chew on the speaker wires, power supply, and USB cables connected to my computer.

I read somewhere that cats do not like to chew on silver foil. So I would like to try wrapping the wires with silver foil to see it this helps.

My question: Will this cause me any problems in regard to conductivity, or anything else that may arise from wrapping wires and computer connections with silver foil?

Thanks

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
I'd try and keep the kitten out of the room and away from power cords/wires in the first place, if at all possible.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
give your vet a call - s/he should be able to recommend a good kitteh deterrent spray for cables etc (its foul tasting to them - I used some yrs ago when one of mine became a 'chewer').

then you just lightly spray a bit on all your cables (stuff I used to use lasted about 6 weeks or so). eventually kitteh will associate cables with YUKKY.

Keysmark

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Thanks for your advice everyone.

Getting rid of kitty is not going to happen. I took costabunny's advice and went to my vet who recommended a spray called bitter apple.

I'll let you know the results.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Thanks for your advice everyone.

Getting rid of kitty is not going to happen. I took costabunny'y advice and went to my vet who recommended a spray called bitter apple.

I'll let you know the results.

bitter apple worked well when my two cats liked to chew on things......they were partial to socks and seemed to like the flavor of paperback book covers too

you could try spraying it on some cloth and leaving the cloth as a barrier to whatever........my cats responded by avoiding anywhere the bitter apple was present

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
bitter apple worked well when my two cats liked to chew on things......they were partial to socks and seemed to like the flavor of paperback book covers too

you could try spraying it on some cloth and leaving the cloth as a barrier to whatever........my cats responded by avoiding anywhere the bitter apple was present

Is there anything like this for hamster bars? Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.