New Lacie D2 Quadra - slow and noisy, is something wrong?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PDE, Aug 20, 2007.

1. PDE macrumors 68020

So I decided to go for the Lacie quadra 500gb as my new backup drive, but I'm a little worried that I made a mistake. It's crazily loud when accessing and writing! I have only had an old porsche lacie drive and that was quiet - this one is very very annoying if it sits on my desk. Also, I backed up my MBP with super duper - it took 1 hour 25 minutes to copy 75 gb - that seems slow to me given that I was using Fireiwire 800.

Are these drives known to be noisy? I mean, there is no way I could work and focus when backing up or using this thing - loud clicking and churning all the time. I've never heard a drive like this, but maybe I'm just not used to desktop drives...

2. dapetrun macrumors regular

dapetrun

Lacie D2 Quadra...

I have the exact same drive and mine is super quiet. As quiet as the hard drive on my MBP. I used 400 FW and did not think it was real slow but my previous backups were to a Lacie wireless network drive and that WAS very slow! (802.11G speed, convenient but slow).

I would check the backups you've made thus far for readability or errors and maybe contact Lacie for their recommendations. They have been known to have some flaky quality control issues (so I've read) but I havn't had any problems with them (knock on wood).

Good luck. :(