New Lacie drive crashes Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Grunze, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Grunze macrumors regular

Grunze

Hi,

I just started using a brand new Lacie 500gb USB 2.0 external hard drive.
    Every few minutes, when I create new folders on it, or copy things, it crashes Finder. Then finder reopens.

It also seems ot show the wrong files in the wrong folders once in a while, and I have to eject the drive, then remount it, to see things properly.

Any ideas why this is happening?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I strongly suspect that the drive's firmware needs to be updated. Head to the LaCie site, look for your drive, and find the latest firmware update. Install it on the drive, and see if that doesn't help. I had a related issue with a LaCie drive on Windows. Updating the firmware fixed it.

3. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

My guess is because it's made by Lacie.

They're drives have been known to have issues with changes in OS X for many years.

I've read numerous complaints by Lacie owners every time a minor update to OS X is released.

It's more common to see issues with previous drives when going from OS 10.3 to 10.4, or from say 10.4.x to 10.5.

But, it has been known to happen with minor updates as well.

I try to stick with drives from Other World Computing, or other brands which ship with the later Oxford 911 chipsets.

I've never had an issue or heard a complaint from someone who had a drive with the Oxford 911 or later chipsets. The Oxford chipsets seem to be very compatible and have no issues with updates and different operating systems.

Personally, I'd avoid Lacie. But, if you can't get it working (and want to keep it), you're probably better off contacting Lacie and telling them you want them to make it work. Hopefully it will continue working with upcoming OS versions.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hmm. That's strange. I have not had any issues with LaCie drives in any version of Mac OS X, including Leopard. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.:D

5. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Could be.

I know a lot of the issues get resolved with firmware updates. But, the problem with a drive that requires a firmware update, is that you can only get updates as long as the manufacturer supports that drive and offers updates.

I prefer the Oxford chipset because I've never heard of one requiring an update to continue working, and because everyone I've spoken with during these changes and updates to OS X has reported no problems if they've had an Oxford 911 chipset.

On the other hand, a lot of people usually start complaining around update time when they have either generic drives, or drives from companies that use lesser chipsets.

I'm glad you've had good success with yours.

I just try and head-off questionable issues by going with the most solid chipset I can.

I had a guy who was a higher-up at Lacie jump into a previous discussion, and he claimed that it was only because of the large number of drives they've sold that you find so many complaints.

But, I know there has been an equally large or larger number of drives shipped with the Oxford chipset (since they are used in a lot of drives), and to have never had the kind of complaining from Oxford 911 chipset users that I hear from Lacie owners, that says something to me.

Sure, it's possible that any drive could stop working due to some change in OS X. But, it just seems that the Oxford 911 is somehow durable and survives without issue.

6. mooncaine macrumors regular

That's the problem, right there.

We've used OWC drives in a video editing shop for years, no such problems, but the handful of LaCie drives we've worked with since 1999 have *each* had some kind of problem.

7. Grunze thread starter macrumors regular

Grunze

Well, I'll try updating my firmware, because seems to be the simplest solution, and see how it goes... If that's unsuccessful, then I suppose I'll try an other solution.

Thanks for the help and advice.

8. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Let us know how it goes.

My only concern would be that if something goes wrong during the firmware update, they could claim you damaged it.

Or, if the firmware update goes well, they could claim that it's failure to work afterwards was due to an improperly flashed firmware.

I think I'd call them first, and have them tell you to update it. That way if it still doesn't work, you haven't risked your warranty.

9. Grunze thread starter macrumors regular

Grunze

Problem solved.
    It had to do with Stuffit deluxe causing the crash. Nothing to do with my lacie drive. I founf the answer in an other thread.

Thanks for all the help anyways.