Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sovereign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
Where are the larger faster WD drives? The 1TB 5200rpm drive has been out for several months, in the garbage MyPassport configuration. What is the holdup to releasing these as bare drives? Also, isn't there supposed to be a WD 640gb 7200rpm drive? It seem like 2.5" drive tech and/or distribution is really lagging...

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I might be out of date, but wasn't the problem that the 1TB disks are 12.5mm high instead of the usual 9.5mm high required to fit in a MacBook/Pro? I mean otherwise there would be nothing stopping you buying the MyPassport and ripping it out of there.

sovereign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
I might be out of date, but wasn't the problem that the 1TB disks are 12.5mm high instead of the usual 9.5mm high required to fit in a MacBook/Pro? I mean otherwise there would be nothing stopping you buying the MyPassport and ripping it out of there.

I have heard the 12.5mm are not a problem in the new MBP. I have heard that the HDs in the MyPassport are soldered onto the board in the enclosure. They cannot be removed and used as a bare drive. I have also heard of many problems with the MyPassports and Macs as well. Plus, they have some BS firmware installed that is next to impossible to remove. I just want the drives and to put them in a real enclosure, like an OWC, etc.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
The WD RAID Manager caused all sorts of problems on my MBP. It messed with iTunes. Every time I would put a blank disc in to burn, it would spit it back out and tell me the drive was in use by another program etc. It took me almost two months to figure it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.