New laptop help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattnzclark, Feb 2, 2014.

1. mattnzclark macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I am looking at buying a 2010 Macbook Pro. I have a few questions about them if you could help.

I am hoping to watch a lot of youtube videos on it, does it load youtube videos fast?

Are they a fast and snappy computer or are they slow?

Does Mavericks run on it nice and fast.

Thanks in advance :) Would love to hear your thoughts on the 2010 macbook pro.

Matthew

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

First, it depends on your internet connection.

Second, it will always be bloody slow unless there's an SSD inside it.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

I numbered your questions.

1. Unless your computer is severely underpowered for the task(a 2010 MBP is not underpowered for youtube), this has everything to do with your internet connection's speed, and nothing to do with the computer, at all.

2. Fast and snappy compared to what? Slow compared to what? What is slow to some is perfectly acceptable to others.

3. See #2.

4. mattnzclark thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. By fast i mean that you dont have to wait and wait for videos to load and documents to save and photos to save etc. So if it doesnt have an SSD then it means that it will be slow???

thanks for the help guys

5. JunkyJeff macrumors newbie

Hey there.

Video loading speeds on youtube will generally matter on your internet connection. This day in age I am assuming you aren't stuck on dial up connection, I think you will be fine. Loading documents/pictures is not very demanding at all unless you are dealing with possibly raw image files and other hi res files. If you are looking to use a laptop like probably 80% of the world as an email/word/music/youtube device honestly you'll be fine. The SSD would be beneficial and real life speeds you'd be very happy with it but a normal HD should be okay for you.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

If you're waiting on YouTube videos to load on any computer made in the last 10 years, you have a bandwidth problem, not a computer speed problem. It sounds like you're on a shared WiFi connection and aren't getting decent speed.

On my home network I can stream multiple videos without a pause. When traveling, I'm lucky to find a connection where I can do that. Same computer, just different connections.

I would run one of the online speed tests of your internet connection and see what you're actually getting. That will tell you what to expect for watching videos.

7. mattnzclark thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the input. My windows laptop now plays YouTube videos without pausing but I though since the MacBook Pro is 2010 it might be a bit slow and laggy. I will only use it for normal use and not process videos and photos etc so it sounds like it would be perfect for me to web browse and check emails etc.

Thanks everyone!!!

8. mattnzclark thread starter macrumors newbie

I just bought one! thanks guys. will let you know how i get on .

9. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

You won't be disappointed. Coming from Windows I still cannot believe how quick the Macbook Pro late 2008 15" runs that I recently picked up - and I have not even put an SSD in yet (since I can't make up my mind between Crucial and Samsung....), only a reasonably fast (7200) WD old fashioned hard drive. It has however 4 GB of Ram and should yours have less I strongly recommend an update. Also putting Mavericks on actually has made mine faster (compared to Mountain Lion which was on before).

10. mattnzclark thread starter macrumors newbie

I am excited haha! Mine has 4GB of ram, 250gb HDD and is 2.4Ghz.

11. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

The macbook pro ain't slow, its hdd is, that's why you need to get an ssd to replace it

12. mattnzclark thread starter macrumors newbie

Just picked up my mac. I am typing of it right now! Wow everything is so fast!! Thanks for the help guys. I am a happy camper :)

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Congrats and goodluck

My wife works on my old 2010 MBP, its plenty fast for most typical tasks. Putting an SSD in it really made a difference as well.

14. mattnzclark thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! So much faster then i thought haha