New laptop & installing i0S7 to my devices...HELP!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Ctrix65513, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Ctrix65513, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

Ctrix65513 macrumors newbie

Trying to prep my devices (iPhone and iPad) for the upgrade tomorrow and was seeking some advice/reassurance. Just so happens my laptop hard drive died last week and I just got a new one. This hard drive among other things held my iPhone and iPad backups. I previously did manual backups regularly via iTunes (now lost) and have iCloud off on both devices.

When installing the new i0S tomorrow to both devices, I would prefer to avoid starting from scratch so I understand my options to be to install from iCloud or restore from iTunes backup. Basically, I want my devices to operate as they are now (no loss of apps, photo, application data) but with the new i0S.

First, is it not possible to install update OTA and use on device as is with current settings, software, etc without creating a backup? While watching an i0S 7 install video, I see the only options as use as new iPhone (which I assume would erase everything on their/new install), use iTunes backup, or use iCloud backup so I'm guessing not.

Second, would the correct/most logical steps be to manually backup both devices on new laptop, install update via iTunes, and then restore from just created backup during install?

Third, is there any benefit to backup via iTunes versus in the cloud? Will all my application preferences/settings be saved as well?

Fourth, will my data such as stored family movies in AVPlayer HD be lost or is that included in the backup?

Thanks in advance.

2. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I back p on both the cloud and iTunes.

Restoring you new device via a iTunes backup only takes a couple of minutes.

Restoring via the cloud with WiFi takes longer.

Restoring via the cloud with cellular can take hours.