New Laptop Migration Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SparkyCanada, Dec 31, 2013.

1. SparkyCanada macrumors member

Hi there.

So I need to migrate my stuff from my 2008 MBP to my new one 2013 MBP.

Here are my questions:

1. Should I use the migration assistant for data only - having me download new compatible apps?

2. I do have Office for Mac on my existing system - and read that there are often problems when using migration assistant. Is this still true migrating to Mavericks?

3. If I use the migration assistant for everything - how does it deal with older versions of applications?

4. If I use the migration assistant for everything - but want to co-install an older version of a software application with a newer one - will it let me? For example I currently run an older version of Pages with the newest. There is a certain template on the old version that I use in iWeb - that I can't seem to find on the newer version...

Thanks for any assistance...

SparkyCanada

2. SparkyCanada thread starter macrumors member

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you use MA it will put everything back as was before. Some applications will need to be re-installed or have their product keys input. Apart from that it is a simple, fast way of doing the job..I used Thunderbolt and copied over 500GB in 46 mins...not too shabby!

Office wanted re-installation, and a couple of games from the app store required downloading again...that was it!

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

When I used MA it worked fine for all my apps but Office required re-entry of the product key. Very smooth process.

5. SparkyCanada thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll give the Migration Assistant a try this week...

SparkyCanada

6. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

One other thing that may not come over with MA (or hasn't for me): your keychain passwords. That can be a real pain in the butt if you aren't prepared. There are FAQs you can Google on how to manually move yours over.