New laptop needs recharging first/ Last minute advice...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bilalo, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Bilalo macrumors 6502

I was wondering im getting the rMBP within a months time, I wanted to ask should I recharge the laptop before opening it? Or should I open it, use it until its 10% then recharge it to 100%?

I also wanted to ask is it ok to leave my charger on the laptop overnight whilst it isnt being used or does that just screw up battery on it like on windows?

Im getting 16 GB Ram 2.6 GhZ, 256 GB SSD, any last second advice??

And by the way, is there anyway I could choose whether I want a samsung or LG screen? :/ Im scared to get an LG one due to all those image retention probs and so on :/

2. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Plug it in and use it. Leave it on charge overnight.

3. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

Wait so when I get it, I plug it in and use it, and once its 100% full I take off the charger as a first time charge?
    And ur second answer, do you mean its 100% ok to leave it, wont it affect battery life or so on?

4. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Once plugged in, leave it overnight to ensure you get a complete charge (100% doesn't necessarily mean its finished charging).

After the overnight charge, use it as you normally would. Calibrating the battery every 2-3 months won't hurt either.

BTW, try not to obsess too much over this kind of thing. The battery will take care of itself provided you use it and keep the electrons flowing.

5. FrancoisC, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

FrancoisC macrumors 6502a

FrancoisC

Also, windows won't screw up your battery, I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

Granted, OS X is more power efficient than windows, but what will screw up a battery is how you use it, not the os you use.

6. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

What does calibrating it mean?

----------

My whole life ive only used window laptops, and ive used 4-5 and all including the one im typing from now has less than an hour battery life ;p this one has maybe a 3 minute battery life if not less :S and the one before that wasnt that bad had maybe between 1-2 hours and even less if I was gaming :) so based on personal experience 15-17 inch laptops from Hp/Toshiba/Dell all models 2010 or before have this ****** problem and Mac is known to be wayy more power efficient. Windows laptops have a good battery for the first year after that everything goes downhill.

7. FrancoisC macrumors 6502a

FrancoisC

Every battery lose charge capacity over time. What matter most it the type of battery the manufacturer use.

My girlfriend has some old mp3 players that still work fine to this day, but her old ipod touch won't last more than 15 minutes on a full charge.

What I'm saying is; Macs are good, thats what I use myself, but they don't use magic batteries that won't degrade over time :)

If you take good care of your laptop's battery, be it a dell, hp, sony or apple, it will last a long time.

8. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I'll agree with the statements about batteries degrading over time, but what you need to realize is that this is over years, not months. You should have no fears about the batteries in your laptop.

Also about your concern for the LG screen. Keep in mind that tens of thousands of rMBP's have LG screens. The vast majority have no problems. Reading this forum may make it seem otherwise, but remember that here you see only the problem ones showing up, not the thousands that have no problem.

As far as specifying which screen you get when you order, I do not believe that is possible. Most computer manufacturers use multiple sources for parts and none, that I know of, have such a service.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Posted in countless prior threads on this topic:
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Stop fretting over it and use it.

The OS is irrelevant.

^ This.

Where are you getting that idea from? Always consider the source.