New laptop user inquiry

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacBH928, Jul 12, 2009.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Hello

I was always a desktop guy because desktops are dependable and strong. But things changed and I do not heavily use my computer so I bought a macbook the one with no firewire. I heard that laptops today are just as good and reliable as desktops.

So I just have to ask , I am only running Safari with 4-5 tabs open and watching a video . Is it normal for the fans to be this loud and on most of the time? I mean this is hardly using the CPU.

Or does it have to do with the room temperature because this usually happens when the air conditioning is off.

I am afraid these fans are saying to me: The laptop is HOT, be careful. I get ideas that it might hurt the laptop if it gets hot and the fans turn on.

Could you please enlighten me?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If the video is a flash video then that is normal. Flash needs some work in OS X.

3. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

That's perfectly normal. I have the same model MacBook as you and I recently learned that, by default, the fan us always on and has a minimum speed of 1800 rpm, but it will usually rev up a lot more than that.
    I agree with above about flash, that's probably what has your fan going, it's trying to cool the gpu not the cpu.

4. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

So , shall I let the fans go crazy and smile about it with no worries?

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Some of us even laugh and giggle uncontrollably!

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah you should be fine. Once you do something less intensive the fans should slow down. I use smcfancontrol to run my fans higher than normal because I don't mind the noise and hate the heat on the keyboard when I'm typing.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Yup.

It's better to have them running when the computer is hot than not at all ;)

You should see how loud some of the newer HP's get when they start cranking...yikes, sounds like a room fan going at full blast!

8. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Haha, you think those are loud, you should have heard my old iBook G3 when it heated up. The speakers didn't go loud enough to block out the noise!!

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

My G4 iBook was the same way, especially towards the end. It had two levels, absolutely silent..and small aircraft on take-off.

10. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I do not think any one had to face the noise I faced using IBM thinkpad.
    The air vent felt like it was a car's exhaust and the fan would make cranking sounds like a faulty car engine.

The macbook is very quite then I hear the fans going loud "SSSSHSSHHHH" like it needs to breath or about to blow while I am just watching flash video online. It isn't like I am running Final Cut Pro, parallels xp , and playing a DVD movie. I was worried that the heat and high fans might damage the internals as the laptop is extremely thing

11. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

If you want the laptop to cool down more then install smcfancontrol and ramp the fans up high. This also monitors the temperature. It will be relatively loud but it will keep it cooler and keep your mind at ease about your laptop.

12. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I wouldn't worry about that. If you want to keep a look at your CPU temps, you can download the iStat Pro dashboard widget. The Core2Duos in these computers are rated up to 105*C (221*F) before they'll fail/panic. I've never gotten my temps above ~82C, as the fans kick up and stop the heating in its tracks.

13. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

And that was only when it was switched off! ;)

14. mosx macrumors 65816

My HP has a loud fan like that. The difference between it and my unibody MacBook? About 30c under load. The HP runs cooler under full load than the MacBook does idle. And the HP has dedicated graphics as well.

A "cooling" system designed to keep the hardware from reaching its failure point is not as good for the long term life of the product as a cooling system designed to actually keep the hardware cool is. A Core 2 Duo running a 135F will definitely last longer than one running at 185F. My plastic and aluminum MacBooks have definitely gone above that under full load.

15. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Good to know. The highest I've seen mine is 169*F.

16. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I knot this sounds stupid but out of curiosity
    does it help to keep a fan blowing on your laptop , or set it on an ice pack, or just keep the room you operate in really cold

17. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

A fan blowing may help it to dissipate heat faster, An ice pack is not a good idea, and a really cold room would help probably lol, I know when i first got my macbook and it would get hot when id play a game for a while, I got curious and held it up to my window when it was -40C outside and the temps went from about 83C to 30C on the cpu in about 3 minutes haha

18. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I wouldnt recommend an ice pack either, even if it's covered or in a container or something there's still more then likely going to be some form of condensation as the air coming out of the computer is suddenly cooled - not the kind of thing you want around your computer. And do not, under any circumstances, even attempt to use dry ice like someone's asked on these boards before :p

19. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

WOW lol...Thats all I can say

20. chucktown macrumors newbie

hate to hijack the thread but it is the most recent dealing with smcfancontrol...I just installed it but can't get the app to run, I click the icon and nothing happens

any ideas?

21. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

What version of the app and what OS X version are you running?

22. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Nothing appears in your menubar?

Attached Files: