New Laptops-Sweet Spot Price Vs. Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Enigmafan420, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

I have done some research and am leaning toward the $1,600 Macbook-Based on the reviews I have seen, it seems to offer the best performance for the price.

It is not FAR BEHIND the entry level MBP (except of course on the Quake 3 benchmark) -but a lot less money. I figure with either machine I would get 4GB-Apple actually seems to charge a reasonable price for this.

Does anyone have an opinion on the current "sweet spot" for Mac Laptops? Probably going to buy today, so any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. lasuther macrumors 6502a

The 2.0GHz is sweeter spot for price to performance.

3. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Thanks for the reply-why do you think so? I am just asking because it does appear the 2.4 is measurably faster.

4. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

It's not anything noticeable in all except maybe the highest intensity applications - which probably shouldn't be done on a macbook anyway.

If you're going strictly price/performance, the 2.0 is the better buy. However, lots of people have opted for the 2.4, not because of the .4Ghz ($300 is not worth that alone), but because of the backlit keyboard and larger HDD in conjunction.

Performance wise, they're so close it's not worth the $300 on that. Most of the 2.0 vs. 2.4 threads you'll see around here center on the backlit keyboard, or a combination of the keyboard, HDD and processor. It's rarely the .4Ghz alone..

Also, if you're spending $1599 + $150 for RAM, thats like $1750 before tax. That gets rather close to MBP range without the screen and performance of the MBP.

5. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Thanks for your input-the guy at the Applestore near me said BOTH had backlit keyboards, is that untrue?

6. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Yes, it's untrue. Only the 2.4Ghz MacBook has a backlit keyboard. The MBP does as well. The 2.0Ghz does not.

7. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

Yep, the 2.0 has no backlit keyboard.

I also thing the 2.0 is the better value for moeny compared to 2.4.

8. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Well personally I'm trying to decide between the MB and the MBP, and I think the 2.4 MB is not worth it. My choice is either the 2.0 MB or base macbook pro, because with the 2.4 the price is too close to the MBP.. it's much easier to justify the jump from the higher end macbook to the macbook pro than it is from the 2.0 to 2.4 MB just for some light-up keys.

It's for this reason why I think I'll go for the MBP (in addition to added performance for games), because I want the backlit keys but getting the 2.4MB seems silly just for that when I can spend a bit more and get a much better computer.

9. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

I too am considering the MBP-but between the 2.0 and the base line pro-is $700-which is QUITE a bit more...

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Since the early part of this year I was really attracted to the MBA. I have a desktop, so for me it is just a 2nd machine. In my case I am leaning now towards the 2.4 MB.

Reasons:
    I wanted the Air b/c of the weight factor. At 4.5 lbs the MB has come down and is not that much heavier than the Air. It also has more HD and the optical drive as well as the new trackpad. And it still runs $200 cheaper, faster, more ports etc. I say why cripple myself with the Air when the MB beats it in everything but weight and from what I read, the screen

As far as the 2.0 vs 2.4, I do want the faster CPU, backlit keys, and larger HDD. Sure I would like it to be $1499 but what can you do.

As far as the 2.4 MB vs low end MBP. I agree that a better screen, and better GPU, and even Firewire are all good reasons, but for me this will still be a second computer, and weight and size factor in. I don't need the screen real estate and while the difference of 3 lbs vs 4.5 lbs in the Air to MB is somewhat significant, the MB is still light enough to warrant it. But I don't want to tack on another pound to the equation.

I can see how for your only computer and budget conscious the 2.0 model makes more sense, but at the same time, if it is your only machine, you probably want to get more out of it and the larger HDD, faster CPU and keyboard are nice features at a reasonable upgrade price. Talking yourself out of yet another $400 for a MBP can be more difficult to do.

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Or...

Or, you could get the 2.0, upgrade the ram to 4gigs, and put in a 320 gig 7200 rpm hard drive....which is roughly the price of the midlevel macbook pro, and seems pretty danged snappy...:p