New large sensor from Canon - Middle format?? - Does that also mean good news ..??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by igmolinav, Sep 12, 2010.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

New large sensor from Canon - Does that also mean good news for previous medium format owners ??

Hi,

I found this link on the internet:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10083101canonlargestsensor.asp

I wish they could produce digital backs for some medium format cameras. The digital backs on the market are very expensive. A digital back between 6 and 16 MP would be cool.

Thamk you, kind regards,

igmolinav.

2. Edge100 macrumors 68000

It's more than likely that this sensor is just a proof-of-concept; that is, a product produced for no other reason than to develop new fabrication methods or some other manufacturing process. Car companies do these types of things all the time.

I wouldn't be the least bit interested in a 16MP MF digital back; one of the major reasons to buy a MF body is to achieve super high resolutions at ISOs that are typical for studio use (i.e. 50-400). I can get 21MP in a 5DmkII or 1DsIII today.

3. toxic macrumors 68000

that's just proof of concept or just to show Canon's sensor fab prowess. MF digital is not remotely profitable enough to be worth the effort and expense.

4. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Not to mention that at 8" square, this sensor is closer to 8x10 film photography (which is itself larger than large format film) than medium format.

My question is, where are the pics? Anybody can mount an 8" square of silicon on some backing with wires and pretend it's a sensor... :)

It's also remotely possible that this is a one (or two) off ultraexotic made for some super, super, super, super rich customer who comissioned it from Canon. Such a thing has been done in the past.

Ruahrc

5. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Yes, that's true the 5D and 1Ds you mention are great cameras! However, a back for amateurs between $500 and $600, (perhaps a bit more expensive, and preferrably square formatted), would be cool : ) !!!

The ones currently on the market are above $5,000, I think. That is the difference I would like to see! People working in the pro market can buy (almost) any product they may like. People like myself, who are amateurs and students, but that from time to time do some photographic work here, and some work there can not afford the expensive backs. Just like some people will be very happy to see the prices of full format dSLRs to a fraction of their current price in three to five years.

I just imagine that Canon or other manufacturer makes a "universal" back, and this with an adapter may be used with any of the medium format camera brands out there. One thing, that is perhaps not often mentioned in dSLR forums, is that as akward it may be to some, for me the ergonomics of the medium format camera I used had a very nice feel. I don't have the same good feeling with a dSLR all the time.

Wouldn't it be cool a digital MF back for less ??

Kind regards,

igmolinav.

6. Gold89 macrumors 6502

Wow, amazing technological development :cool:

Also worth considering that there are uses beyond just commercial technology. The military and scientists may well have use for a high quality, low light sensor.

And it will be face-bendingly expensive.

7. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

It's not a medium format sensor, it's a (very) large format sensor. I'd like to see lenses for this puppy ;)

8. toxic macrumors 68000

except $600 wouldn't get you half of a MF sensor.

MF digital is so expensive because of the tiny market. without a larger market, prices won't go down, and people aren't going to spend the money for a larger, slower, clunkier camera, MF or no, especially at a measly 16MP.

it would be cool...but at the rate things are going, it's not happening for a loong time, and it may never happen until someone better than Kodak starts making MF sensors. I guess this is where Canon could theoretically come in, but I don't see why they would bother, because again, the market is so small. Canon sells more 1DsIII's (also an "especially professional" tool) than the entire MFDB market combined.

LF lenses aren't that big since the design is completely different...a Schneider 600mm is < 7" long, with a 105mm front filter. An 1100mm is <6".

9. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

This is just a show off of what Canon can do... It's like concept cars, most of them never go into production, because they're not practical. There is no way anyone would be able to afford a lens for this thing haha think of how much glass would have to be used...

10. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

It's not just the small market, the cost of a digital sensor is driven primarily by the area it covers. It does not get much cheaper to engrave only 16MP on an 8" square of silicon as it does to put 160MP, or even 1600MP. The silicon is what costs, and that doesn't change.

$600 barely gets you a FF sensor, let alone this 8" monster.

11. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you again for your answers : ) !!!

Perhaps in the future a manufacturer comes out with something more affordable for people like myself, who would like to use their middle
    format camera with a digital back. Perhaps there is a market for
    people like myself at a lower price than the current one.

Very kind regards,

igmolinav.

12. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Well in the meantime get comfortable waiting, because it is going to be a long, long, long time before MF digital backs are affordable for "the masses".

13. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Yes, you are right one has to be patient ; ) !!!

Kind regards,

igmolinav.