New larger capacity 16gb Nano on the way?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Simicino, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Simicino macrumors newbie

With flash prices dropping so fast and larger flash-based DAPs all around (including the announcement of Sony's 16gb true Nano killer, the A820 series) how much longer before a larger Nano is announced?

2. superhuman macrumors member

I check this website every day waiting for the same announcement... I have an 8 gigger and it's just not enough for me. My reasoning? I am very into fitness and I love having the option of listening to whatever I might be in the mood for at any given moment. It's not something I can predict, so I want to have as much of my music as possible with me at all times. That being said, the other models are too bulky for me (and the HD based models aren't an option anyway due to susceptibility to shock).

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a 16GB or 32GB Nano, but I don't know how much longer I can hold out. I've owned two HD based iPods and two Nanos and I want to stick with Apple... but that 32GB Creative Zen might force my hand if I don't hear something soon.

3. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

Makes sense to me, I can't see them dropping the 4gb nano but there should be 8gb & 16gb nanos.

Especially now we see the 2gb ipod shuffle.

4. superhuman macrumors member

I just don't get it... why are they holding out for so long? I'm trying to stay loyal because I've loved every iPod that I have owned, but with NOTHING even on the horizon, it's tough. They're letting the rest of the industry set the bar in this niche now instead of the other way around. They were the originators, so they should be at the forefront of clever engineering and cutting edge technology.

Wow! I looked up the 16GB A820... and it is Bluetooth capable!! Does this mean wireless headphones?

This is like a dream come true. Step up, Apple... and fast!

5. Simicino thread starter macrumors newbie

That jumped out at me too and yes you will be able to use wireless headphones.
    (I am in a similar position.) Another thing going for it is the Sony A series sound quality which is just phenomenal, very warm, clean and rich.

I feel like the Touch and Classic continue to be good buys but the Nano and Shuffle are becoming more difficult to justify--what with items like the Cowon D2 (bulky but quite an amazing feature-set, fantastic SQ and it's expandable), the Shuffle-sized 4gb Sansa Clip for $80 (arguably the best SQ of any small mp3 player) and Sony's series.

6. superhuman macrumors member

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Hopefully Apple heeds the call for Bluetooth and more capacity in the Nano and acts fast. I have the feeling that is just a pipe dream, however. They may soon lose a loyal customer due to their complacency.

7. superhuman macrumors member

Come on, Appleheads... doesn't anybody out there have a hunch/premonition/theory or some inside information that Apple will soon offer a larger capacity Nano with Bluetooth capabilities? Or am I living in a dream world? If it's hopeless, I can move on... if not, I might hold out a bit longer.

8. Merkuryy macrumors regular

Merkuryy

First, I won't call that a "iPod Killer", the fact is that you have to bring on a series of insane great product to kill iPod, one is not enough. In the past, the Creative Zen 5G, the Samsung YP-Z5, The iAudio X5 D2 , even my country Meizu M6 were called "iPod-Killer", but with a worse generation product, these product generaly didn't kill anything.

For me the sony greatest hits in MP3 players were the NW-HD5 and the NW-E400, but both didn't do anyhing to Apple.

Also, Yeah, The 16G Nano will come one day, but surely not before Sep at the next release of iPod lines for 16G are after all is "pricy" right now, and the Touch and iPhone both eat a lot of 16G stock.

Apple will surely focus on droping the Touch price, by 50 bucks, in the recent days to ensure its strength in the market, hope it will help:eek:

9. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

I sure wish they'd come out with a higher capacity Nano. I'd like to have one just for the car. 16 or 32 gigs would be fine for that.

10. Simicino thread starter macrumors newbie

Those products you mention are all low quality mp3 players. The Meizu is a poorly made Chinese player, for example. Not so with the Sony's, not even close.

If you want a sense of the Sony A series superiority, head over to a audiophile forum like head-fi.org You will not find a single person who claims that the sound quality on any Ipod (even the 1st gen Shuffle) is superior or equal to the Sony's. The difference is notable; and add the fact that you can customize it with EQ and drag and drop files without using proprietary software, and voila, you have an insanely great product.

Also, I don't know if Apple will or can wait until September. They just updated the Shuffles and Touches, why not Nanos? If they wait until September, they should be able to release 16 and 32gb Nanos--surely by then other companies will already have 64gb flash players available.

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

They're coming. This week 2G shuffle, two weeks ago 32G Touch. Won't be long now for 16G Nano.

12. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I hope its in the next week or two. I want to buy an 8gb nano but am hoping that the prices will drop :D

13. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I think that if Apple offers a 16 GB nano for under US$250, they'll have a HOT seller on their hands. That would allow me to put in more higher quality 256 kbps AAC files or cram in more music encoded in 192 kbps VBR AAC or MP3 format. :)

14. superhuman macrumors member

Agreed. I have owned a 1G and 2G Nano and I would buy a 16/32GB Nano the first day it was available... if I don't buy a Zen first. Apple needs to get its ass in gear.

So, considering none of the current iPod models offer Bluetooth capability, is it unthinkable that a Nano update would also introduce that feature? If I could have a larger capacity Nano and have the option of using wireless headphones, I would be in HEAVEN.

15. bloodycape macrumors 65816

The Sony is a an ipod killer, just like Samsung and the Cowon devices are. They all(products listed) better in most categories than ipods(except the Cowon D2 can be compared either to the Touch or the Nano). Another thing is these companies don't have marketing for their mp3 players. Cowon is a small company so they don't have a large ad budget, Sony is more focused on their tv, camera, blu-ray and their video game system to make tv ads their fantastic mp3 players. Similar thing for Samsung, except they don't need to mark their stuff because they are making a killing in making the flash chips for all flash based ipods. Seriously when was the last time you saw a Sony mp3 tv ad(in North America that is) or a Samsung mp3 tv ad? I certainly have never seen one, and I am in Los Angeles where we get all the odd ads.

I doubt we will see a 16gb Nano. If we did we would have seen it when the Touch or the Shuffle was upgraded. Heck, we would have seen 16gb when the Nano was upgraded a while, back and would have been waiting for 32gb now, but it seem like Apple is more focused on the itouch and iphone.

16. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Just had a look at it on Google. http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/02/20/sony-a820-8gb16gb-walkman-has-the-bluetooth-built-in/

Says it has no Mac support. They must be going after a different market because if I wanted to make an ipod killer I'd make sure it ran on Macs.

17. bloodycape macrumors 65816

18. superhuman macrumors member

Damn...

No new Nano announced today. Come on, Apple!

19. superhuman macrumors member

You think we will NEVER see a 16gb Nano? So, are you prognosticating that the Nano will be discontinued? I will never buy another Apple product again if they betray me like that! :mad: Their other MP3 players are not exercise friendly and I'm not down with the Shuffle. I like to pick what I listen to and see what it is on a screen.

Is this Sony player we're all discussing even available in the US? I can't seem to find it to take a look at it. I have friends in Japan; is there any reason I couldn't have one shipped here and have it work just the same?

20. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Bound to drop tomorrow since I just went for a 8Gb black one :)

21. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Yes, it is coming to the US market. And any dap with flash can be sport friendly. It is a little pricey(compared to other products in the market), but once stores get it, price should go down a bit to be more competitive. If Apple was going to continue we would have seen the 16gb when the 3rd gen came out or even when the other was upgrade.

22. superhuman macrumors member

That is a good point. Do you think it's possible that they delayed putting out a larger capacity Nano until the factories could keep up with demand for the NAND chips that had to have increased with the larger capacity iPhones and iPod Touches? If they are done with the Nano, they should do their customers a favor and announce that they will discontinue that line so we can all stop waiting.

23. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

maybe less is more for me... less per iPod, but more iPods

It's funny, I think I'm heading in the other direction on nanos. The "less is more" direction. I mean like not even video! The previous gen nano is becoming my new favorite, but having three or four of them to reload on whim.

Did recently get an 8Gb black 3rd gen as a gift for someone (and have a green one myself that I like to watch TV show reruns on) but right now I think I prefer the smaller capacity 2nd gen nanos for that "grab-and-go" function. Maybe that's Apple's rationale for the 2Gb shuffles, although I like having a screen for that much capacity. I can make on the go playlists if I'm too rushed to playlist the load when I'm making my selections.

Lately I just really like being able to grab a 2Gb or 4Gb "lunchbox" and put that day's "sandwich" in it! I am not sure why, but who cares, it works for me right now. Maybe it's that I don't have time just now to plan out my larger capacity iPods' reloads, which I try to do maybe every couple months.

Anyway I just scarfed up a 2Gb and a 4Gb silver 2nd gen nano from Apple Store refurbs, price so right and the free shipping. I am incorrigible... but I think these are destined for gifts. Perfect for friends who are not sure they need an iPod. Once they check out these babies, they'll go back for the iPod touch on their own. Or maybe they'll be 32Gb nano fans! :)

24. superhuman macrumors member

Yeah, I don't even really understand why they put video on the Nano. That seems like a niche that is better filled by the larger models. I would much prefer higher capacity and Bluetooth capability (am I a broken record yet?).

How much are you paying for these refurbished 2G Nanos? Do you have a link for where you get them? Is shipping always free or is there a catch? That sounds like a GREAT gift idea.

25. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Apple Store online, refurb section (link at left in one of those boxes partway down the store homepage). You have to look every day after 5am PST when I think they put up whatever they have.

Sometimes they don't have anything but a placeholder for the type of iPod and maybe the Applecare for it. Today they had silver 2Gb and three colors of 4Gb nanos. So the 2Gb were $79 and the larger one $99.