New Laser Printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by leemkule, Feb 10, 2011.

1. leemkule macrumors newbie

Aug 6, 2009
    Hi there, I am wondering anyone can help me, I've been trawling the internet for a week or so now and I'm being unsuccessful in finding what I'm looking for.

I currently own a samsung clp 315 colour laser printer, but apple and samsung are at a standoff and neither of them will fix the printing issues that owners of this printer are having, it's been like this for over 8 months now and I've had enough, so I'm going to buy a new laser printer. It is so frustrating having to fiddle with the printer turning it on/off, unplugging it etc between every print!

However, I can't seem to find one that is good, I am a student, and although most people just say get a b+w laser to lower costs, I study medicine and am often printing out diagrams and mechanisms etc that really benefit from being in colour.

The main thing I want is a printer that is reliable (i.e has good OS X driver support, this is critical to me!), have reasonably priced toner cartridges with the option of 3rd party toner and a decent sized paper tray. I'm not fussy with amazing print quality just as long as it works! As far as print load goes, I probably print about 150-200 sheets a week on average.

The dell 1320CN seemed perfect for me, but then i noticed that some people had problems setting it up, and I could only really find reports of people using it over a network with OSX, I will be plugging it via USB into my iMac/macbook air, does anyone know if this printer works with the latest version of OSX?
    Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Who told you that? Dell has abysmal support for MacOS X. When people talk about low-cost laser printers for their Macs, Dell is never ever a part of the conversation. Look at Brother.
  3. leemkule thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 6, 2009
    I was kind of looking for some people recommendations that they have used/are using with OS X, not just suggesting a brand that I've already looked at.
  4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

Jul 7, 2009
    I have a Dell 3100CN and it works very well with MacOSX. There was a period in time where Dell supported OSX; and this was one of them. In fact, it's a great printer. I've had it for 5 years now and have YET to change a toner cartridge. I had a problem with the fuser about 2 years ago and Dell sent me a replacement free. Otherwise, it's been a champ.

BUT, today, I wouldn't look further then Brother, they have some great printers and fully OSX compliant. We just picked up a Brother Color laser (HL-3070CW) for the office (about $250); it works very well and is quite a bit smaller then the Dell (that thing is HUGE).