new (late '16) MBP locked up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macmesser, Oct 13, 2017.

1. macmesser, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017

macmesser macrumors 6502a

My new late '16 MBP running Sierra just froze up with chrome on Amazon. How do I force quit or do a hard restart? It seems like the OS crashed. Finder and Chrome unresponsive to keyboard, trackpad. I can't bring up "quit application" choice window. Hel-l-l-lp, Mr. Wizard!

2. ab298 macrumors member

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201150

If you can't shut down your Mac because it isn't responding, you can force it to turn off without shutting down. Hold down the power button until your Mac turns off.

Use this method only when you can't shut down. You'll lose any unsaved changes to documents that you have open.

3. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for reply. I don't see a power button on the Macbook Pro. I think it just powers on automatically when opened and needs to be shut down from menu to power off. In this case I closed it and called Applecare. By the time I opened it again there was a message saying it had restarted because of problems. So I guess an OS problem generates an automatic restart?

4. ab298 macrumors member

You didn't say which model you have, but presumably a touch bar one ? : as that article says :
    • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) and later, and MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) and later: The power button is next to the Touch Bar and integrated with the Touch ID sensor. Press Touch ID (power button) to turn on your Mac.
    • Other Mac notebooks: The power button is a key in the top corner of the keyboard, or a circular button next to the keyboard.
    >>I guess an OS problem generates an automatic restart?
    A kernel panic often will, or of course, as you say; it just powers on automatically when opened. Hopefully it's a one-off.

5. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Yep TouchID is the power button, you'll notice it's an actual button that you can press to do power related tasks. Just hold this down for a few seconds. If ever that doesn't work, you can disconnect the power supply and wait - but it'll likely result in lost work.

6. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for reply. Yes, Have the touch bar model.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 17, 2017 ---
    Thanks. Got it.