"new" late 2012 Mini hard drives coming in upper slot?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by lcann25, Oct 5, 2014.

1. lcann25 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I just bot a brand new mini and want to add an SSD drive. Started watching videos on the task and was prepared to order the data doubler kit when I decided I would check the system preferences for the drive location first just to make sure, and it shows the drive in the "upper" location, which is odd I thought seeing as this doesn't seem to ever happen, so as a verifier I cracked it open and sure enough the hard drive is in the upper slot!, so adding the SSD should be as simple as buying the lower cable and sliding it in place and plugging the cable in, no disassembly required. Cool! So is this how all the newly built units are coming? because it sure seems to make more sense for an upgrade standpoint.

2. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Mine did, and I had to swap the SSD to the upper to get it to work properly.
    No big deal if you're already in there. Some people didn't have problems with just adding the SSD to the lower, so ?

Good Luck

3. lcann25 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I can see that I need cable P/N 922-9560, however I am also going to need the screw pins to hold it in place inside the mini. Where did you find these screws? I can't seem to find them or a P/N for them.

4. thedeske macrumors 6502a

I bough a cheap kit off *bay and it had a pair of pins and the cable. I think there might have been a tool or 2, but I have tons from previous retros. Other than dealing with whatever tape or sticky you might have on the factory drive, it's not a big deal, but I did completely pull the board out to work with both bays. Careful you get the right cable for the lower, since you have the upper ;)

5. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

If you buy a non-original cable to add a SSD, make sure it officially supports Sata-6G. The cheaper kit cables only support Sata-3G properly, which could lead to all kinds of reliability or basic functionality problems. At minimum you'd limit the speed you could get out of an added SSD.

6. lcann25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bah! Something else to look at. I am finding it extremely difficult to locate this cable!. Ive finally figured out the part number (821-1500-A) and have located a few on ebay, but they are all from china or hong kong and none make any reference to 3g or 6g :(

----------

Ok, A little more info here (076-1412) seems to be the Apple P/N for this cable if anyone else is looking for it. Typing that into ebay gets many more results.

7. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I bought the cable and screws from ifixit.com the kit was $20 and included the logic board removal tool, screws, grommets and cable. It's working very nicely thus far. My Mini was a refurb. and had the drive in the "lower" slot so I had to do complete disassembly of the system to install the SSD.

iFixit also sells a kit that includes all the tools needed ($10 more) but I had the screwdrivers and "spudger" already.

8. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Messing with hard drives in the mini is insanely hard. What a PIA. Upper is lower, lower is upper, unless it is a Tuesday with a full moon. Then reverse.

M.2. Plug and Play. Accessible.

If the new mini does not have that, I will be looking elsewhere.

9. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Oh come on Cape Dave. Man up:)

Upper isn't lower and lower isn't upper. While mine was hard to install an additional drive in it is not too difficult for people who can carefully plan and work precisely.

The OWC kit I got worked really well and included everything that I needed both tool and hardware-wise. My fantasy that there may be a new mini soon (and a bit of laziness) have kept me from replacing my mini's W8 HDD with an M500 SSD that used to be in my MP. Mavericks is already on an M500.

10. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

LOL! I stand by my statement. I had the whole thing planned according to online videos, had what I thought were all the tools necessary, then found out I needed to disengage the logic board which the video told nothing about becasue their drive was in the OTHER bay. So, I did not have the tool for logic board removal (I thought one needed the special tool, later found people hacked that) and by this time I was pissed as I did not want to "practice" on this computer. So I took it to an Apple place to finish the job. Even THEY were surprised about the location of the original hard drive, even though I specifically told them that is why I am bringing it to them. Needless to say, I have not been back there for business.

I got the Vector 512GB in there and it is staying until I sell the whole machine to purchase the new mini. Sometime. Possibly.

Being a 20 year vet of desktop hard drives, this was a bit more delicate than I liked.

M.2!

11. lcann25 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree this is a bit of a hassle to upgrade, but at least you CAN upgrade it. The new imac is all but impossible to upgrade any part of it. So for $599 and being upgradable, there really is no offering other than the $3000 pro that you can do this with. If apple follows suit with the new mini, it may be even harder if not impossible to upgrade!

12. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

True, but if I had a nice M.2 PCIe 512GB and 32GB of Ram in the new mini I would not care :)

13. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

...especially at the $599 price point. Sweet!

14. thedeske macrumors 6502a

;)

Obviously, when it's upside down the moon is full.

15. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

I added the OWC data doubler on my mid 2011 mac mini. It was relatively easy, came with most of the tools just be careful not to force the screws or you will strip them and double check your work before you put everything back together. Good luck! I didn't have a problem with the hard drive placements maybe its different on the 2012? But OWC gave me a copper sticker if i had a 2012 for the bluetooth problems

16. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Swapped a drive in a 2010, and remember it being slow. Large hands in tiny places. After getting in my late 2012 the second time, I had a good "Feel" for the tiny connectors and the delicate fit. iMacs are a breeze compared to this & towers are like opening a car hood now.

I modified one of those freebie plastic pry tools (collected from all the kits I'd ordered over the years) to 1/8 width just for removing one connector on the right that allows the board to pull out. Made all the difference. Practice ... Practice!

;)

17. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

What's the deal with the copper sticker and BlueTooth issues? I haven't heard about that.

18. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

"The 2012 Mac mini is a great machine, but we have found one small issue with it. Some units may not have proper shielding applied internally on the Bluetooth module and thus can experience interference from USB 3.0 drives.

This situation appears to be due to the specific placement of shielding which can vary from unit to unit. As a result, some mini users may experience diminished and/or up to total loss of Bluetooth use even at very short range. "

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMM12BTS/

19. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

Interesting. I have seen a lot of reviews blame the MiniStack for the BT interference when it has been paired with the Mac Mini.