New (late 2012) rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sadoering, Jul 24, 2013.

1. sadoering macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 13" rMBP with a 2.5 i5/8gb/128 SSD. I found a good price while this was on sale along with an additional education discount at Best Buy. I'm coming from a mid-2009 MBP so this new model seems amazingly fast to me. I'm not too worried about the next release... I know there will always be something new coming at some point. I don't necessarily need the absolute fastest thing out there with the applications I usually work with - and the speed of the current rMBP with the SSD is amazing compared to what I am used to! The retina screen is also amazing to me compared to the old one. I haven't had any issues at all, and the build quality was perfect with no issues.

One question - I checked the serial number on the "chipmunk" site and it shows a manufacturing date of week 27 2013. This would be sometime during the first week of this current month. Is this site usually accurate? I have checked other macs this way and the manufacture date always looked about right. http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Has anyone else recently purchased on of these? I'd be curious what the manufacture date shows. Does a recent manufacture date of this model point to a later release of the next gen MBP?

2. nickandre21, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013

nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

i guess you have the early 2013 model and not the late 2012.
    I brought a 15inch rMbp first week this month its manufactured date shows 25th week of 2013

if you still wanna be sure if its a 2012 or an early 2013 go to about this mac and more info

3. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Congrats on your purchase, looks like your sales rep was wrong with the manufacturing year :eek:, enjoy your 2013 rMBP !!! :D:D:D

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The 2.5Ghz 13" rMBP basically didn't get an update in 2013, just a price drop. As far as I know the ones being produced now still have the exact same model number as the ones from 2012.

5. sadoering thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds right - mine does say "late 2012" in the about this Mac box.

I was surprised to find that it had been made so recently. Have all if the screen issues been fixed by this time? I haven't noticed anything - retina screen looks great!

6. fskywalker, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013

fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

hopefully you should have an LG SJA2 (less prone to IR than SJA1) or a Samsung display

7. sadoering thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any way to know for sure what the screen brand is on a 13" rMBP?

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I don't think that the screen issues have been reported much on the 13" models, most of the complaints have been on the 15" version. Also there is no way to determine the screen manufacturer on the 13".