New law = less time to iPhone 4 jb?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Nrwrit3r, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Just wondering, since it's not illegal will there be more professional developers helping to get the jb working? And possibly way more apps for cydia?

2. douflag macrumors member

Why didn't you post your question in the previously made thread for this topic???

I wish there was a way to report a "repost" so that MODs could merge the threads.

3. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

You can report it, look at the lower left hand side of the post. There should be at triangle with an ! in it.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just report the post and provide the link to the thread you thought it should be in. Easy.

5. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

It was never illegal. From what I've read, this simply indicates that Apple's attempts to make it illegal have failed. They can still close security holes taken advantage of by jailbreaking apps. In, short, I don't think this really makes any difference to the user.

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

No.

Someone please delete this thread.

7. douflag macrumors member

Awesome! Thanks for that.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Why do you think some magical developer will have more experience than the team that has been doing this for years?

9. cobra5mil macrumors member

The only difference this makes is now the Devs don't have to waste their time and energy smashing that small little voice inside their heads saying, "What you are doing is WRONG!" Now they can focus on jailbreaking and unlocking without interruptions from that tiny little voice.

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Some of you just don't get this.

IT WAS NEVER ILLEGAL !

Always been a "grey" area, but no longer !

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I don't believe that is accurate. The DMCA is pretty explicit about circumventing such security measures, and the previous exception was explicitly and clearly limited only to jailbreaks undertaken for the sole purpose of unlocking. Jailbreaking for any other reason was not covered.

12. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

I think the point people are making is that jailbreaking being illegal is not something that was ever taken seriously. If so, then people are wrong -- jailbreaking being illegal is not something that USERS have ever taken seriously, but DEVS have taken it seriously. So, to reiterate what thelatinist has said, today's ruling by the LOC does make a difference.

However, the ruling won't likely have much of an impact on what users care about most -- speed of jailbreaks being released and amount of downloads being available on cydia. Still illegal for apple code to be used in jailbreaks, and still legal for apple to try to slam shut every hole that's discovered.

13. cobra5mil macrumors member

You are far too quick to judge. I never said it was illegal. In fact, I use to be actively involved at XDA and xbox-scene. The fact of the matter is, grey areas mean some people think it is wrong. Drinking is not illegal, but some people believe it is wrong. I was simply joking that they had a voice in their head saying it was wrong to jailbreak. Thank you and have a nice day. :D

14. Vbp6us macrumors newbie

Good point. I guess you have to have a conscience to know what that voice is supposed to sound like. :) I heart jbing.

15. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I'd take this a step further. It has never been illegal nor has it been a grey area. It's your phone. You may do with it as you please. Apple can reject warranty work if they determine that you've violated your agreement.

Look at it this way:

Is it illegal for the "Will it Blend" guy to blend the iPhone? Of course not. But Apple won't warranty the phone after a good blend.

It is not illegal.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The only difference is that hackers now feel a little safer knowing that they won't be sued by apple.
    Besides that I don't think it will speed up the process or make any difference.

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

Just because the government says it's ok doesn't mean that apple isn't going to try to prevent it. ;) just means they have less grounds if they ever decided to go after dev-team or jailbreakers. even still apple can challenge it.

18. still in school macrumors 6502

So can apple still void your warranty for jailbreaking?

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

What you think is right really has no bearing on whether something is, in fact, illegal. The DMCA prohibits circumventing certain digital security measures except in certain very limited circumstances. You may think, for instance, that owning a DVD entitles you to decrypt its encrypted content so that you can encode it to play on your iPhone (i.e., "do with it as you please"); that does not mean that doing so is not illegal. It very definitely is.

I would also like to add that, while you do own your iPhone, you most certainly do not own the software that is installed on it. Apple retains ownership of that software, and it is legal for you to circumvent its security measures only to modify it in certain very restricted ways. Before today, you could legally circumvent them only to unlock your baseband. Any other use was illegal. With this ruling, it now becomes legal for you to do so to run legally-obtained third-party software on your phone. That still does not mean it is legal for you to do "as you please" with it.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep.

21. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

It was never illegal otherwise Apple would have already pursued legal action against those that develop the jailbreak/unlock software.

The victory in this is that Apple cannot seek any legal recourse to discourage developers from jailbreaking/unlocking their devices.

22. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Sigh. It has been legal to jailbreak in order to unlock. It has not been legal to jailbreak in order to run unapproved apps.

23. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I respectfully disagree.

First off, I am not stating what I simply believe to be true. Your DVD analogy is incorrect. When I purchase a DVD, I am purchasing the license to the content. The disc itself is merely a medium. I can, in theory, make 1000 copies for myself. I may not distribute to anyone else. I can stick them in my closet for "backup" for example. I own the right to do that. The same holds true for the software on the iPhone. It is my right to alter it, change it or destroy it as I see fit. Until the court's recent ruling it was illegal to facilitate this capability for others (Jailbreaking). That point may be where we are having the disconnect.

I see your point regarding the DCMA. Again, this would apply to the distribution of software that allows Jailbreaking (among other things not applicable in this discussion).

EDIT (I've removed some text I posted earlier): I've done a little more reading and may have been hasty. I apologize. I really don't have time to read everything regarding these changes but I now see where you're coming from a little more clearly.

Regardless, I take your point and appreciate the civil manner in which you presented it!

EDIT: And just for clarification, when I say "as you please", I mean within the confines of your own personal usage. I do not mean distribute, share, disseminate, etc.

24. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

So basically....

I'm sure ya'll will let me know if I'm wrong I'm sure...

This new law just means Apple can't press charges against you for jailbreaking. Apple is still saying it VOIDS your warranty.

It's now legal to do something that nobody has ever been in trouble for? :p

25. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

Isn't it possible there are many people out there who hack and do unlocks for the iPhone and simply don't release?
    There are a lot of people that know coding and hacking although I love the dev team and appreciate their efforts I'm willing to bet there are people out there who can do jailbreaks and unlocks.