Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the release of new MacBook Pro models this morning, Apple has debuted a new Leather Sleeve accessory that fits the 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3. Apple says the accessory is made of high-quality European leather with a soft microfiber lining that ensures protection of the MacBook Pro during travels.

2018-macbooks-leather-sleeve.jpg

Colors include Midnight Blue, Saddle Brown, and Black. Apple previously released Leather Sleeves for the 12-inch MacBook, but this marks the first time owners of the Pro line can purchase the accessory, and the first time the sleeves will be available in Black. The 13-inch Leather Sleeve costs $179 and the 15-inch version costs $199.

For the MacBook Pros, the new models start at $1,799 (13-inch) and $2,399 (15-inch), featuring up to six-core eighth-generation Intel Core processors, up to 32GB RAM, the Touch Bar and Touch ID, and more. For more information on the specs for the new MacBook Pros, be sure to check out our full launch post.

Article Link: Apple Debuts New Leather Sleeves for 13-Inch and 15-Inch MacBook Pro

Last edited:

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Great.

Let’s hope it keeps a spec of dust out of those defective keyboards so you don’t lose your Mac for a month while being repaired.

How Apple hasn’t fixed the keyboard problem-and dropped the touchbar-is beyond comprehension.

The MBA suits running Apple’s product decisions are killing the company. But I’m glad the “attach rate” is higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: H818H

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
Great.

Let’s hope it keeps a spec of dust out of those defective keyboards so you don’t lose your Mac for a month while being repaired.

How Apple hasn’t fixed the keyboard problem-and dropped the touchbar-is beyond comprehension.

The MBA suits running Apple’s product decisions are killing the company. But I’m glad the “attach rate” is higher.
How do you know it’s not fixed on the new version? How do you know it was a defect in design?

I’m curious if you know some info lots of us don’t or are just memeing.

Reactions: haydn!

malcolmman89

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012

Alongside the release of new MacBook Pro models this morning, Apple has debuted a new Leather Sleeve accessory that fits the 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3. Apple says the accessory is made of high-quality European leather with a soft microfiber lining that ensures protection of the MacBook Pro during travels.

2018-macbooks-leather-sleeve.jpg

Colors include Midnight Blue, Saddle Brown, and Black. Apple previously released Leather Sleeves for the 12-inch MacBook, but this marks the first time owners of the Pro line can purchase the accessory, and the first time the sleeves will be available in Black. The 13-inch Leather Sleeve costs $179, and as of writing the 15-inch version does not appear to have propagated yet on Apple.com.

For the MacBook Pros, the new models start at $1,799 (13-inch) and $2,399 (15-inch), featuring up to six-core eighth-generation Intel Core processors, up to 32GB RAM, the Touch Bar and Touch ID, and more. For more information on the specs for the new MacBook Pros, be sure to check out our full launch post.

Article Link: Apple Debuts New Leather Sleeves for 13-Inch and 15-Inch MacBook Pro

Apple has added the 15-inch sleeve and price to their website. $199 seems really steep, but I guess if you've just paid $2,000 + for a laptop, $200 is a drop in the bucket.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011

Does it really take a month? Damn. Mine is acting up and I was hoping to get it fixed quickly. Really need it for work.

Regarding the leather sleeves, they’re very nice. I bought one for my iPhone and love it. So I went ahead and got one for my iPad Pro and ended up sort of regretting it because of the price. At the end of the day a case is just a case.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
£180. For a sleeve. Golly gosh. No thanks. I would have paid £70. What are the chances I can haggle down a store rep?

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England
I've yet to find a case better for an Apple product than one made by Apple. The lining prevents damage to the finish of the product. Because of that, I can sell it for a bit more when it comes time to upgrade. Money well spent if you ask me.

I might well get one of these.
[doublepost=1531416532][/doublepost]
£180. For a sleeve. Golly gosh. No thanks. I would have paid £70. What are the chances I can haggle down a store rep?

What I make doesn't cost as much as I sell it for. No. You can't have a discount because you feel like I'm charging too much. lol!

Reactions: JTBing

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
How do you know it’s not fixed on the new version? How do you know it was a defect in design?

I’m curious if you know some info lots of us don’t or are just memeing.
It’s clearly a defect in design, unless the intention was to produce a keyboard that constantly stops working because keys produce double-letters or skip.

If it was fixed, they would have gotten the word out.

Reactions: decypher44

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
It’s clearly a defect in design, unless the intention was to produce a keyboard that constantly stops working because keys produce double-letters or skip.

If it was fixed, they would have gotten the word out.
Would they though? Again, assuming the issue effects a small percentage of users how can it be considered a defect or warrant a public statement.

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
Seriously, Apple? Overpriced dead cow skin laptop sleeves? The market goodwill / inertia is going to wear off at some point. I hit that point in 2017. You could say I cured my macaddiiction. Coming back to this site now and then makes me realize I am not missing out.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
I've yet to find a case better for an Apple product than one made by Apple. The lining prevents damage to the finish of the product. Because of that, I can sell it for a bit more when it comes time to upgrade. Money well spent if you ask me.

I might well get one of these.
[doublepost=1531416532][/doublepost]

What I make doesn't cost as much as I sell it for. No. You can't have a discount because you feel like I'm charging too much. lol!

I haven't used any of their leather stuff for computers, but the leather iPad air 2 case was one of the best cases ever for the iPad, but for some reason they got rid of those for the newer models. I still have it, and yes it is worn and doesn't look brand new, but it fits perfectly, I have dropped it several times and it provided good protection. I have also had the leather case for the iPhone 5s,6S, and 8 and love those as well. Dropped my 6s several times and have never had a scratch on it. The 5s cases weren't as good as the newer version, but even it was wonderful. They provide very little added weight or bulk and do a good job.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Would they though? Again, assuming the issue effects a small percentage of users how can it be considered a defect or warrant a public statement.
It's by definition a defect if, when used as designed, it doesn't work right.

And it warrants a public statement because it's the elephant in the room. Even if only 5 people were afflicted by the problem, it gets an inordinate amount of negative press coverage, and doubtlessly influences people's buying decisions. The only way to counteract that is to say "hey, the new keyboard has new flexi-magic capacitators that make sure all the keys work great even in dusty environmental conditions" or the like. Say nothing and the only assumption we can make is that it's just as likely to be screwed up as the last two generations. And as someone who owns a first generation MBP TB with a screwed up "b" key, you can bet i am not going to buy another MBP until apple tells me they've fixed the issues going forward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.