New LED 24" display 2009?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by steveOooo, Sep 1, 2009.

1. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

Os there likely to be an updated version of the 24" led display this Autumn - October 2008 was the announcement of the display - so will there be one this october? WIll they refresh the displays every year or so?

Also alternatives to the ACD - UK buyer.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Is there a reason to update? No. 30" may go LED in 2010 when new Mac Pros comes. So far, 24" uses the newest technology.

3. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

just wondered - i know about the buyers guide.

What about alternatives to the acd? ones with compatibility to the 16:10 ratio, and good for video editing?

Iiyama seem to be cheap and ok - 24" display is 1920x1080 - which would mean black borders/letterboxing? - so below is a 26" which has 1920x1200 - i think this would be best to get over the 24"?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/11072...-26-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor-Black/Product.html

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The alternatives are the HP LP2475w and the Dell 2408WFP which can both be found for around £425. The HP is IPS giving better colour accuracy than the Dell (S-PVA), but it's not leagues different. If youw ant something better there is the NEC LCD2490WUXi. I wouldn't consider anything else if you were originally looking at the Apple.

5. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

That would be sweet if we got a 30" LED ACD next year. I also want a single graphics card that can run two of these displays. Then I would be buying a Mac Pro.

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

I love my Apple 24" LED display. I don't think you'll be seeing updates for a while, especially if you look at Apple's history regarding their displays...

But who knows these days with Apple. :)

7. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

is the Iiyama ProLite E2607WSV / 26" a good alternative? £300 cheaper, with 2 extra inches, 1x hdmi 1x dvi input, has 1920x1200 resolution, 2ms response time..

8. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Agreed...the current 24" LED LCD is the latest and greatest.

The only thing I could see (not based off any hard evidence) would be offering a matte 24" version. We can only hope. :rolleyes:

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It's a TN panel. Poorer colour accuracy and worse viewing angles. If you are doing non-text digital content creation I'd reccomend a calibrated IPS or S-PVA display. Not that you can't do such things with a TN display (laptops are), but there is a difference and it is one of the most important parts of your setup. Not an area I'd skimp on. LG have the W2600HP comming out which is a 26" S-IPS for like £300-£350, but I'd wait for some reviews at tftcentral or [H]ard|Forum's display subform.

10. Cuban///M3 macrumors newbie

shouldn't be updated till end of the year at the earliest

11. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Or a version for desktop users...

Mac Pro users seriously got the shaft on this one. Especially those who bought theirs in 2008, they can't even use the display without a new video card. And what good does a macbook charger do me with a Mac Pro??

If you have the $ for a Mac Pro and two 30" cinema displays, surely you could afford a second graphics card as a BTO?

13. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

how do i go about connecting a mbp 17 with mini display port, to a dell ultrasharp with dvi, hdmi and vga - which is best - hdmi or dvi? Will the display on the dell be exact to that on my mbp - ie no tearing when watching video.

I had my powerbook g4 hooked up to my sony tv via dvi-hdmi, and noticed tearing when watching video, or any quick web page down/up scrolling.

The ACD connectivity is so limited - espech for £570.

How could i connect a vga or hdmi device to the apple cinema display - are there adapters out there? the minidisplay port on the acd - is this only fitting into the mbp? Is there an adpater out there that will let you connect a hdmi/dvi/vga device to the ACD?

14. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

HDMI and DVI will produce the same picture, they are both digital signals.
    The VGA will produce a slightly more "fuzzy" image as it is analog.

That is the nature of HDTVs. They don't have a fast response time like monitors.

Yes.

As of right now, there are NO adapters for connecting DVI, VGA, or HDMI sources to the LED display. You must connect the cinema display directly to a mini displayport.

15. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks drewsof07 for clearing that for me.

Do you or anyone else thing theyll be adapters released (female mini display ports) that will allow for the connection of hdmi/dvi to the ACD?

Seems a bit silly releasing a HD Monitor with no HDMI connector - the basic ability to view hd material form bluray etc..

Can i connect a VGA computer to the Macbook pro and use the macbook pro as a display of the vga signal? i have the supplied mdp - vga

16. akm3 macrumors 68020

Unlike converting from DVI to say HDMI, simply making a 'female' minidisplay port does not solve the problem as you wish. it is electrically much more complicated than that, as the 'old' interfaces like HDMI have much of the signal circuitry on the display side, where as modern interfaces like DisplayPort put the drive circuitry on the output side. So, there simply are not the electrical guts inside the ACD to accept and process an HDMI signal. To do so, you'd not just have a physical adapter but something that would have to recreate the MDP signal. This is unlikely to happen for a reasonable price (i.e. the cost of a simply 'HDMI to MDP' adapter' anytime soon).

Going the other way is no problem (MDP to VGA, DVI, etc) as the legacy connectors have the large and expensive circuitry in the displays to interpret the signals.

17. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

So your saying the ACD cant take both hdmi and mdp - surely it can? must be room in there. I guess in future iterations, the ACD will have more connectors perhaps when / if apple go into set top box tv manufacture (apple tv really is a tv made by apple)

18. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

19. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

20. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

if samsung make the panels for the ACD, what is the best samsung 24" display, or a list of comparible models (i believe samsung led monitors are over £1,000!)

21. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there away to connect a mac to a hdmi hd tv and have good response times for video played on the mac - ie no tearing? Perhaps some software that playsback video on the mac to match the response time of the lcd tv?

22. akm3 macrumors 68020

That is precisely what I'm saying. yes, it would be very possible for Apple to put int he circuitry (and connectors) necessary to accept DVI or HDMI (or VGA) signals in a future revision, but as it sits now it is DisplayPort / Mini-DisplayPort or nothing on the ACD. (Until or if someone makes an external converter that works, as indicated in a post above for ~$179 (ouch!!))

23. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Samsung do not make the panels for the ACDs. Apple use H-IPS and Samsung manufacture S-PVA.

Quoting myself from earlier in the thread:

24. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheers, i think those alternatives are only £100ish less than the ACD so not worth it - woudl rather pay the xtra i did see that dell 24 on ebay with one dead pixel, refurbed for £290 - but id rather have a new tn panel for £300 the acer looks like a good cheap alternative - dont want something uber cheap. Once i get it ill have a look at the ACD and see if the extra £270 is worth paying