New LED Cinema Display does not charge MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by neiltc13, Mar 20, 2009.

1. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

My apologies if this issue has already been discussed, I tried searching but found nothing.

I bought a new 24" LED Cinema Display today but once I got it home I found that it doesn't want to charge my MacBook's battery. It said "Not Charging" when I clicked the battery icon in the menu bar but I really thought nothing of it.

Then, while I was transferring files from my external HDD to the MacBook everything just turned off completely. I feared the worst and when I tried booting my MacBook it simply would not turn on.

It seems like the Cinema Display had bled my MacBook dry - it had no charge in the battery and I had to do an NVRAM reset to get it to charge again over the power adapter.

Still when I connect my Cinema Display to the Magsafe it does not charge the computer, yet it does charge fine when I connect it to the MacBook power adapter.

Seems like a faulty Cinema Display to me, but it was an 80 mile round trip to the store to buy it, I don't really want to have to go back.

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

How could the cinema display charge the macbook?

3. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Using the Magsafe connector?

4. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I returned the display to the store today. They tested it with other MacBooks and Pros and found that it was definitely faulty.

Replaced on the spot and this new one works great.

5. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

problem solved. Good thing your mac book is alright, it was only drained and not fried by faulty connections in the display.