New Lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bld44, Jul 6, 2007.

1. bld44 macrumors 6502

My wallet officially hates me. My new Nikon 18-200mm VR came in today. This thing is amazing.

[​IMG]

2. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

Get that thing off Auto!!!!

Congrats on the lens, post some pictures.

3. checkflag macrumors member

checkflag

nice lens.. and to 2nd poster.. whats wrong with auto-focus??

4. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

I think he means get the D40 off of "Auto" exposure mode and use something more "photographic", i.e., M or A (Aperture priority).

Anyway... gorgeous lens, and looks good on the D40. I think it would look even better on my D40x though... donations?

5. JDN macrumors 6502a

I have a D40x with 18-200, the lens is amazing, im swamped with uni work at the moment but try every opportunity i get to go out and use it! happy snapping!

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Wow, I didn't realize how small the D40 is! I have the 18-200mm (LOVE it!), and use it on my D70. I know the photo's perspective might be a bit misleading, but it looks like your D40 is 50% smaller than my D70!

If I can find my other camera, I'll post a picture for comparison.

You will LOVE that lens!!

7. termina3 macrumors 65816

I can't stand the "Auto" mode on cameras... even when I'm really, really lazy I'll put it on P (auto aperture and speed)... usually set to A or S (aperture or shutter priority, respectively)

I think it's an insult to the DSLR's pro background to use one of the sports/portrait/landscape modes

8. bld44 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have really had good experience with the auto mode for casual stuff. When I'm done when the camera out of habit I seem to always put it back onto the green auto dial. Not really sure why, I guess I'm a little obsessive compulsive, and its nice incase somebody else in the house wants to use it and doesn't have to worry about it being in a manual or semi-manual mode.

I have yet to figure out the P mode, I seem to always get an over-exposed image (of people) even if I adjust the exposure compensation.

As for a status update, so far the lens has been excellent. I haven't got much use yet as it has been raining here a lot lately. Much heavier than I would have expected, but I really love the M/A focus mode and the lens is very well designed. Much more convenient than always switching lenses, so I'm glad I got it. Now if I could just get my eyes off of a micro 105mm VR...:rolleyes:

9. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Looking forward to a few postings of images from that baby...:)

10. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Its mine first!

That's the logic behind getting my wife a D40, now I can get the lens as a gift for her ;)

11. Qianlong macrumors regular

nice lens, I want one too for my d70s.

Nothing wrong with auto settings I guess. let the camera work for you :)

It's like driving a car with an automatic gearbox, or should we change to stick to be pro drivers?

12. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Depends on who you ask ;)