New Leopard 9a499 Screenshots

Discussion in 'macOS' started by simontarr, Jul 31, 2007.

1. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

There are a load of new Leopard (build 9a499) screen shots at The Tech Blogger with more promised shortly. I stumbled across the website yesterday and made a short post about it in the Leopard Visual Enhancement thread, but I thought I'd post it for everyone else to have a look at if you haven't been bothered to read the rather vicious argument that's been going!

I'm really starting to dig the new menu bar, especially with the updated icons that came in the latest build. I'm still not sure about the dock though- it seems to take up too much space, or at least gives the illusion it does because of the 3D-ness of it.

2. acslater017 macrumors 6502a

ooh thanks for the link. Yea, some people dislike the menu bar, but I think it's neat. That, combined with the deeper application window shadows, will make for a more coherent experience (esp. if you can make Spaces).

I think that the new Dock DOES take up a bit more space. In the screenshots that I've seen, it adds about a third/half of an icon's height to the Dock. When working on my MacBook, I'll probably set it to hide...when on an external monitor the space taken up shouldn't be an issue...

3. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

4. pcorajr macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link. The Site is working a bit slow right now, I guess is getting hammer.

5. phytonix macrumors 6502

6. Nightkrawler macrumors regular

7. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Thanks a lot dude, those links crash safari on OS 10.3 every single time! :mad: I know its not your fault, but that site stinks.

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the link

9. kap91 macrumors member

The dock may look like it takes up more space but in actuallity it takes up slightly. If you resize your own dock so that the icons in your dock are the same size as the ones in any of the screenshots and then place the docks side to side the new dock is about a millimeter or two shorter than the current dock.:)

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

They've updated iCal so it is really obvious what day it is, not sure if i like the look of the mini calendar. Looks really good, just can't wait to get my hands on it.

Also i really like the fact that the have made quicklook work with folders.

Arabesque alos looks quite nice, and i like the path view.

Attached Files:

11. vandlism macrumors 6502

has anyone else noticed that these are the exact same images that think secret posted? particularly that first set of photos, except think secret never followed up with a gallery. i suppose if these make it to think secret we will know their source.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

the dark silver color looks too dark... why do I feel 10.4's UI is better?

13. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I also think it's a bit too dark. If they'd just kept the version that 10.4.x has it would look nicer.

But I guess in the same vein, as long as I don't see a hint of brushed metal i'll be a lot happier. :D

14. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I agree. I don't really like it either. I hope there is a option to make it solid. Jobs seemed to really like it too... but I see it more as a cheap trick that doesn't do anything... If they want do something with it, they should have a auto hide option for it or something. That would be cool.

The Stig

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

thats the word. option, since all other OSes offer this option.

16. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

There is an option to make transparent menu bar normal. I don't like it either. But it seems to me that OS X is finally going to be unified... again.

17. abrooks macrumors 6502a

No there isn't.

18. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Sure? I recall someone that has used Leopard mentioning that there is a way... Never tried Leopard myself, though.

19. abrooks macrumors 6502a

Yup pretty sure, you can check out my gallery of screenshots here, the Appearance pane is in one of them. *plug* :p

20. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I'm sure Apple won't be that disgusting and add an option to disable transparency on the menu bar in the final release in october. If there isn't one, they'll be pissing off many people.

21. jainaman86 macrumors newbie

guys any date for the release of the leopard?

22. dmcbride macrumors newbie

I actually like the menu bar, believe it or not, although I definitely think it should be an option - perhaps on par with going from windows' vista --> classic theme.

As long as UI changes do not cross the line and become buggers to my productivity, I will probably welcome the changes. I enjoy feeling like I have something 'new' to work with even if it is just slight visual differences.

The glowing dots signifying open applications though is something I absolutely hate. While I have read one user's feedback that he loves the glowing dots as he found the black triangles hard to see - I am experiencing the exact opposite. For example, I used to be able to see ALL open applications simply using my peripheral vision. This is no longer the case and bugs me to no end. Even if I am gazing at an icon directly BESIDE an open application, sometimes I cant tell if that application is open.

I just hope all of the major UI changes are toggle'able.

23. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

403: Forbidden :confused:

24. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

No there isn't. Not even in 9A513 yet, though there are many internal rumors of that changing soon. Which reminds me, where's the post-9A499 info yet? I suppose there's less internal leaks than seems to be general consensus.

By the way, looks like Apple Legal got to the picture gallery finally. Took longer than I expected.