New Leopard Feature or old hat?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pmac, Jan 6, 2008.

1. pmac macrumors newbie

I just tried something in Leopard which I am pretty sure I had previously in Tiger without success, and surprisingly it worked.

Basically I put my G4 powerbook into target mode, plugged it in to my intel imac (FW400), and then could successfully boot my imac with the powerbook as my startup disc. So it has basically booted off my powerbook with my mail, folders etc but with the speed, screen etc. of the imac. In my mind at least this would be the ideal way for that slide in docking to work, basically just access the hard drive (which for an ultraportable would be flash based) and use the power of the base machine without worrying about file syncing.

I can't be 100% sure but I think I tried this in Tiger but maybe my installs didn't have both the intel and powerpc binaries...? I am wondering if this is an old feature or something new?

2. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

I find it hard to believe that that you could boot an Intel Mac from a PPC version of OS X?

3. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

4. pmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I thought this was quite wierd but I reasoned that maybe my powerbook clean install of leopard installed both powerpc and intel binaries?

After checking activity monitor powerpc apps (Rosetta) are only the ones that would be expected eg. Word, powerpoint. Everything else is intel.

It has definitely used the laptop though. For example I have multiple users on the imac but only my own on the laptop, only my account is showing up, all my mail servers are as on my laptop, my applications folder is my powerbook folder etc etc.

For all intents and purposes my imac is currently my laptop which I use for work, which is great for working from home!

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It wouldn't be that. Rosetta is simple another program which runs on top of Mac OS and converts the code. It wouldn't be able to run without an operating system.

6. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

Check your System Profiler to see what hardware is actually being used to run the system.

7. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Leopard is Universal throughout now, so it's no surprise that your Mini was able to boot from Leopard on the G4.