New LG LED Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by illibball087, Aug 25, 2009.

1. illibball087 macrumors regular

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

With the DVI-d that would be beautiful. Trust me you have to see the LED's to believe them.

Only problem is determining what's right and wrong in the specifications, first it says it's 16:9 1920x1080 then it backs up and says it's 16:10 and 1680x1050...come ON!

But yes, overall it looks EXCELLENT! And most high quality monitors are already above the current Apple display, aside from the iSight, magsafe and USB and usb-speakers.

And yes, the base sucks but with companies that AREN'T Apple, you usually end up with big plastic Fisher-Price facade, *cough*

3. kashn95 macrumors newbie

Explanation

Alright. If you paid attention to their website. They accidently listed the specs for the 22" under the 24" area. Look at the size of the screen in the specs. everywhere else it'll say 1920x1080 resolution with a '24" ' screen. Just telling you it is a simple mistake. if you go to lge's UK site it will also say 1920x1080. The response time is also 2ms for the real one not 5ms. heres lge's UK url "http://www.lge.com/uk/it-products/monitors/LG-led-monitor-W2486L.jsp"

4. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

Looks excellent.

I think its a great looking monitor, Id like to see the picture quality but I have faith in LG and I think this is a real contender as my next monitor in the next few months. I would certainly choose this over the ACD personally.

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

There appear to be 4 differences. Two, colour accuracy and viewing angles, relate to it being a cheaper TN panel where Apple are using (LG's) latest revision of the H-IPS panel. Which is the best quality panel you can get. Third is that it is 16:9 1920x1080 vs. Apple's 16:10 1920x1200. Lastly are the connectivity options.

That said, I'm sure it'll be fine as display if those things aren't that important to you. Lenovo have had the ThinkVision L2440x out for nearly a year now and that is 1920x1200 and can be found for $444 at buy.com. I'd read some reviews on that as I doubt the LG will be too dissimilar. Try and see one in person before buying. LED backlighting isn't the be-all and end-all of buying a new display. It doesn't make a poor display suddenly great and you can get 24" displays for ~$200 these days and better quality non-LED displays for similar prices than Lenovo's and Apple's.

6. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

am I the only one that thinks that monitor is ugly?

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Stunning screen. I'm really loving LG these days, they're my first choice now.

I'd like to pick up this baby if I can find an excuse to have a second screen..

W2363V
    [​IMG]

8. illibball087 thread starter macrumors regular

9. monitorgeek macrumors newbie

LG's URL changed.

Hey URL has been changed. Just let you know.
    http://www.lg.com/uk/it-products/monitors/LG-led-monitor-W2486L.jsp

10. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

You will not notice the LED backlit TN display.. So it's a waste of money I think.

11. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

One might choose LED to avoid mercury from CCFL and use less energy.

12. brentsg macrumors 68030

And that's very cool as long as you know you're still buying a crappy display. A lot of people buy LED for the hype. Heck a lot of people buying "LED TVs" don't even realize they are still LCDs.

13. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

LUL, true! My 46" Sony Bravia is simply brilliant (viewing HD television and movies, NOT as a monitor) and it's CCFL backlit.

However, having used the white MacBook before getting an Aluminum MacBook, it is clear that there was an improvement in displays, at least between the two particular computers. Every other computer display looks dim and dull now that I use the 13" MacBook Pro.

*Oddly, though, running Windows on this MacBook Pro somehow causes it to look like some dull old display. Something is dearly wrong with the colors in Vista and 7. They make me feel like my notebook is crap.

14. djlutzker macrumors member

+ 1 :D

15. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

16. AntonIgla545 macrumors newbie

17. dimme macrumors 65816

I just bought a new display. I wanted to get a LED because it is the latest thing. Bit I need great color fidelity and wanted a wide gamut monitor. From what I read LED are not there yet. Ezio, NEC Hp & Dell still use CCFL for their Graphics monitors.

18. kasakka macrumors 68000

It's well known that the Macbook doesn't have as good a panel as the Macbook Pro. Probably cheaper model since they are both still TN panels. However, I must say that as far as TN panels go, the MBPs have some of the nicest I've seen.

As for LED, like already mentioned it is not really an improvement if it's combined with a crappy ol' TN panel as seems to be the case with the new LG. Afaik the 24 and 27 inch Apple Cinema Displays are the only IPS panel LED backlit displays available. Even they only have white edge LEDs afaik instead of the RGB LEDs found in some high end TVs.

Also remember that 90% of the specs for any display or TV are marketing ********. Those 70 000:1 contrast ratios are only happening when you use the dynamic contrast mode which will basically vary the brightness and contrast of the display. For accurate colors, you need to turn it off. Likewise the reported speeds of the display can be for black to white or gray to gray. Many manufacturers don't tell which and in testing reviewers have found that the real response times can be much higher than the stated X ms.

19. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I just lol when i see those numbers...
    There are no 70000:1 screens. Even high end monitors doesn't exceed 2000:1