Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Today I received a nice email from ClamXAV who nicely told me that they will release a new version, and with the new version they will follow Adobe into the hell of subscription software (https://www.clamxav.com/clamxav-3-is-here/).

From now one will have to pay 27,25€ (Germany) per 3 computers, per year.

I don't have a problem with paying, I have a problem with subscription software ... it looks like in a few years we'll have to rent all our software to be able to do the most basic things...

I'll be switching antivirus software....

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I have no problem paying a subscription for software I feel is worth it: 1Password and Dropbox

But AV is something I don't even feel the need to run, so I certainly wouldn't pay for it, much less pay a subscription

Reactions: simonsi

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There's no protection that any AV software can provide that can't be had by practicing safe computing. A subscription is certainly an unnecessary expense.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Get the free version of Malwarebytes, and run it once a month or every few months, to make sure you don't acquire any malware, especially if other people use your Mac.

No need for anti-virus and certainly no need to pay for a subscription to such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.