Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will the iPhone 7 box include USB-C > Lightning charging solutions instead of USB > Lightning?

• Yes

• No

• I Hope So

• I Hope Not

Results are only viewable after voting.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I've always thought it was pretty dumb that Apple doesn't sell a USB-C > Lightning cable. Ever since they released the rMB, it seems like an omission for a product I think there'd be a good amount of demand for. It's requiring a rMB owner to use an adapter to charge their flagship iPhone when on the road. Kind of a PITA for brand loyal owners.

I think most of us can agree that USB-C will be coming to at least the MBP line whenever the next release does occur, some are saying March. It's also very likely we'll see at least one Apple computer this year include a TB3/USB-C combo port, given the compatibility with Skylake. The writing's on the wall that USB-C/TB3 ports are in Apple's future considering Apple themselves had a big hand in the finalization of the specification. It's even worth speculating that Apple may begin utilizing USB-C in other Apple products where it makes sense (iPad Pro 2?).

Given all this info, it seems possible that Apple could make the jump to a USB-C > Lightning cable, including one in the iPhone 7 box in place of the traditional Lightning cable. This would obviously mean that the charging block would also have a USB-C female port. While it would be a big change, people could still use their existing lightning iPhone charging solutions without issue. No need to buy new cables for the office, the car, the nightstand. No need to buy new accessories. They'd simply be including a new USB-C variant in the new iPhone 7 box, use whichever you like.

Me, personally, I'd like to see Apple to just get rid of lightning altogether ASAP in favor of an all USB-C future (USB-C > USB-C cables). I think it'd suck in the short term but would absolutely payoff in the next 5-10 years. All your friends, Android, WP, iPhone....all have the same cable! However, I think the likelihood of that particular change is next to zero, since:
-People would lose their **** about Apple changing ports, again, so quickly
-Lightning Headphones are just becoming a new product category which Apple stands behind
-I genuinely think Apple enjoys having a proprietary cable for their devices, for a variety of different reasons, including pride, ecosystem lock-in, etc.

Given all of this, do you think it's likely the iPhone 7 box will include both a USB-C > Lightning Cable and a USB-C charging block?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't think there are enough places to plug in a USB-C yet for them to move the one end of the charge cable from USB to USB-C. I don't even know if there are any benefits to it yet either. Currently you would only be able to plug it into one of their own offered computers (12" Retina MacBook) without having to use some sort of USB-C to USB converter.

As for ditching Lightning all together. Definitely not anytime soon. Apple is heavily invested in Lightning. With new peripherals coming out all the time that utilize Lightning (especially during 2015.) They have no reason to get rid of it.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Koudspeel

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
No, but I hope so. Another thing I would like to see is USB-C wall sockets. I can't seem to find these wall sockets anywhere yet.

Reactions: sunapple

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I don't think there are enough places to plug in a USB-C yet for them to move the one end of the charge cable from USB to USB-C. I don't even know if there are any benefits to it yet either.

As for ditching Lightning all together. Definitely not anytime soon.

As far as benefits for USB-C, I don't really see many either. The main benefit being that throughout 2016 and 2017 more and more Apple products will utilize a USB-C port, so you will actually be able to charge your iPhone while plugged into your new device (laptop, iPad) with the cable included in the box. Aside from that, can't think of another benefit.

Totally agree about Apple not ditching lightning though. I'd bet big money lightning is here to stay for a while.
[doublepost=1454596522][/doublepost]
I think we will see Lightning Earbuds and maybe even wireless
Probably both, my guess is lightning earbuds in the box and the wireless buds available around $200-250.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
If 7 release with a wireless charger, then Lightning port will be primary for headphone/audio-video-out, since both power and data could be wireless transfer, then there is really no use for adding USB-C or other type of port.
If wireless charging is not in 7, it will be there in 8.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
If 7 release with a wireless charger, then Lightning port will be primary for headphone/audio-video-out, since both power and data could be wireless transfer, then there is really no use for adding USB-C or other type of port.
If wireless charging is not in 7, it will be there in 8.

Recent rumours has them adding wireless charging by 2017. So we might see it in the 7s before the 8.

I personally hope they have it ready for this years 7.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
There's no way Apple would include a USB-C to Lightning cable in the box with the next iPhone unless it also came with a USB-A to Lightning cable. Very few people have USB-C ports, so Apple would be shipping phones with cables most people couldn't use.

They could possibly start selling them separately soon, though.

Chronus

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
No way, you will get the same as always.

Phone
Lightning adapter (usb to lightning)
Charger
Earbuds
Literature
Sim tray tool

Why would Apple include an additional cable when they can sell them for $20.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I don't see that happening until the iPhone 8, since the only computer they sell that has USB-C is the MacBook. That should change this year, though.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I think and hope it will happen. A new power adapter with USB-C and a new USB-C to lightning cable that supports USB-3.1 speeds. I do not think that Apple will switch to USB-C on their phones/iPads though, just on the chargers and computers. Do this with all new devices released this year (iPad Air 3, iPhone 6c (or whatever they call the new 4" phone), iPhone 7/7+, iPad Pro 2, iPad Mini 5, etc.). Include USB-C (with USB-3.1 speeds) on all new computer releases as well.

If you are out travelling around then take one of your old USB A to lightning cables with you if you think you are only going to find USB-A ports to charge with. I can't believe that there are many people out there who only keep the cable that comes with the phone and don't have any extras at all. Over time USB-C will become as widely used and available as USB-A is now. Why not start the transition.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Europe common charger regulations require USB Type-A on charger, thus a USB Type-A to Lightning adapter cable.

They have to continue USB A - Lighting cables until Europe gets their funny laws in order.

And before that happens, as several have pointed out, Apple will likely move on to a cable-less solution.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Europe common charger regulations require USB Type-A on charger, thus a USB Type-A to Lightning adapter cable.

They have to continue USB A - Lighting cables until Europe gets their funny laws in order.

And before that happens, as several have pointed out, Apple will likely move on to a cable-less solution.

I believe this is in the process of changing soon anyway, isn't it? It seems like many phone companies are wanting to go away from micro USB ports on the phone and go with USB-C on the phone. That would be against the current proposed EU requirements right now I believe. I see no reason why the EU wouldn't change their requirements to allow USB-C on both chargers and phones.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I believe this is in the process of changing soon anyway, isn't it? It seems like many phone companies are wanting to go away from micro USB ports on the phone and go with USB-C on the phone. That would be against the current proposed EU requirements right now I believe. I see no reason why the EU wouldn't change their requirements to allow USB-C on both chargers and phones.
Mobile handset manufacturers are free to switch to USB-C on the handsets... As long as:
1. the charger receptacle is USB-A, and
2. they supply a USB-A to USB-C adapter. Mirroring how Apple supplies a USB-A to Lightning adapter.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I personally wouldn't care either way lol. I plug into a wall. This thing never gets plugged into a computer. Despite the fact I don't have a computer with USB-C, and don't necessarily plan to in the near future, this wouldn't really phase me.

Do I see it happening? No. Perhaps they will release a cable as a side purchase for those who need/want the funcionality. Truth be told if I am already thinking of buying an adapter (if I had the macbooks that require it) I would still just get the adapter, at least if I were buying today. It will be a couple years before we see any ubiquity. And I still think MOST computers will come with at least one USB-A port for years to come even if they do have USB-C. Hell, most machines and motherboards still have 1-2 2.0 ports on them even if they still have 3.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.