New Line.. to Pro or not to Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ashtongate, Oct 15, 2008.

1. ashtongate macrumors member

Hello
    Keep switching my mind to decide if i should go with a Macbook or Macbook Pro - can you please help me?

Currently got a Macbook 2.0ghz 1gb Ram

What I will be doing with my new system:

I want to start using my notebook to play games (i.e. call of duty), will the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics handle this or will the 9600M GT with 512MB make a massive difference?

Apart from gaming, I will do a little through iPhoto (poss Aperture) and i use iMovie a little...

If you think Macbook than i am torn between 2.0ghz and 2.4ghz version (would I see a big difference to what i use it for)?

You see if you suggest 2.4ghz version Macbook than I am thinking there isnt much jump to the Macbook Pro 2.4ghz (about £200 ex Vat).

Please let me know what you think, i would really appreciate your comments...

Cheers

2. polar-blair macrumors regular

well the price between the two (MB and MBP) are even closer now and with the approach of snow leopard I presume that you will se a greater increase in performance with the MBP as it has a faster graphics card. I cant tell you for sure but I have gone for the MBP, also you get the benifit of firewire and a larger screen.

If I remember correctly there was a graph on the key note comparinf games and call of duty had a huge increase in performance with the new MBP or it may of been the MB not sure. If you can afford and justify a MBP then go for it, Oh also you can replace the HD in the MBP but no the MB

3. ashtongate thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Polar...
    Ah.. didnt know about the replacing the HD...interesting.
    Does anyone know about that graphics graph and whether the MBP would make that 'big' difference? Can't seem to locate it.

Any more comments would be really appreciated...

Thinking 65% towards MBP 2.4ghz now...

4. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

I was going to buy a Macbook on Oct 30, but then I found out that they do not have backlit keyboards, no discrete graphics, so I guess I've save for an extra month and pick up a Pro at the end of November. Really, I'm just puzzled at the Macbooks....

shrug

Tom

5. ashtongate thread starter macrumors member

I thought the macbooks did have a backlit keyboard, at least the 2.4ghz on Job's Keynote?
    But the graphics will be a 'lot' better then Macbook?

6. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

The graph was comparing the performance of Call of Duty on the old Intel GMA X3100 against the new nVidia GeForce 9400 ;)

7. ashtongate thread starter macrumors member

It's probably too early to tell the difference between 9400M and 9600M?
    Put it this way, has any MBP owners decided to now go for a Macbook because spec is a lot closer?

Still not sure what to do?

8. dougnewman macrumors 6502

If you're interested in gaming and can afford it, get the MBP.