New Lion install, nothing saves!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TXBDan, Dec 9, 2011.

1. TXBDan, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

TXBDan macrumors regular

Hello all,

I'm running Lion on an early 2011 MBP. I have a SSD as the primary drive and a second HD in the optical bay.

I normally install Lion and them move my home directory to the HD using the path in the Users and Groups preferences. In the past this has worked great.

I recently reinstalled Lion, move my home directory and its path the same way. Things seem ok except that:

no login/passwords "remember" in Safari
    history doesn't save in safari
    when i restart, my current state doesn't save after the reboot. it always goes to some early state it was once in, but not the latest.

Most preferences seem to save. files save no problem.

I've repaired permissions in Disk Utility and also did the reboot to Recovery (CMD+R), resetpassword, and used the permission and ACL repair utility there.

No luck so far.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. TXBDan thread starter macrumors regular

Also, if i try to manually add a Keychain Access item, it says '[unix] permission denied'

:/

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Sounds like you don't "own" all your files and folders. I've had that happen to me after doing home folder manipulation.

To check, open a terminal window and do a "ls -l" all the files and folders should show you as the owner. Typically if stuff is messed up there will be a user number (or even a group number as well) instead of the name.

sudo chown -R yourusername .

should change everything to be owned by "yourusername".

4. TXBDan thread starter macrumors regular

just in my home directory, right? thanks

update: i listed all over my home dir and everything is my username 'Dan' and group 'admin'