Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new iPhone 6s and 6s Plus allow users to create Live Photos, which capture an additional 3 seconds of video around a still image and play it back when a user 3D Touches the photo. Priime today launched a new app called Live GIF, letting users easily turn their Live Photos into GIFs that are viewable on all devices and the web.

When launched, the app automatically detects whether your phone has Live Photos and lists them in a grid. The user simply has to tap the Live Photo they want to turn into a GIF and the app does the rest, converting it to a shareable GIF. That GIF or a video taken from the Live Photo can then be saved to the Camera Roll, sent in a message or email, or uploaded to social networks.

livegif-screens-e1444878658328.png

While the app is fairly limited in use and sports a banner on the bottom prompting users to edit their photos in the freemium Priime photo editing app, Live GIF is the first app to enable users to convert their Live Photos to GIFs, allowing them to be shared on most social networks.

Live GIF for iPhone is available in the App Store for $1.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: New 'Live GIF' App Turns Live Photos Into GIFs

Asarien

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2015
No, I want the opposite. The less support GIF gets, the more likely we can move on to something better that doesn't have all of the downsides of a movie (basically something with better compression, still audio-free, easily embeddable, and not CPU intensive).

Outside of a GeoCities or Tumblr page that's made up of an obsessive amount of GIF posts, they are already small in size, audio-free, easily embeddable and non-CPU intensive.

I can't imagine what's more basic in an image-sequence format than a series of JPEGs rapidly playing in succession of each other.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Outside of a GeoCities or Tumblr page that's made up of an obsessive amount of GIF posts, they are already small in size, audio-free, easily embeddable and non-CPU intensive.

incorrect, they are not small in size and they usually are more CPU-intensive than h264 videos (because most devices have dedicated h264 decoders). I think there's a sweet spot of having the UX of a GIF and the benefits of h264 video (taking advantage of hardware h264 decoders).

right now, .gifv (used by imgur) seems to be the best solution.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
We've had animated .gifs, animated .png's, .gifv, .webm, and now Live Photos (hooray, they start in the middle) and more all trying to do the same thing with minor variations since about 1986.

2015, & we're all on essentially supercomputers, and all the brainpower in the world still can't make them display a short raster image sequence? Placeholder images everywhere, all over the web and even in built-in image viewer apps!? If iOS or OSX want to to remain limited in their codecs for performance sake, then when they encounter an incompatible format on a site, they should locally or remotely convert to a compatible format and substitute that file on the rendered page for display already.

Data, knowledge, our history, are lost in translation failures. Endorsing them as some kind of progress is absurd.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Any ideas how to get Live Photos on Photos for OS X? I read it can only be done via cable? Is that right? I use an app called PhotoSync to currently sync my pics over but with Live Photos it only sends the main image. Also AirDrop doesn't seem to work with my iPhone and RMBP.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
No, I want the opposite. The less support GIF gets, the more likely we can move on to something better that doesn't have all of the downsides of a movie (basically something with better compression, still audio-free, easily embeddable, and not CPU intensive).

Yeah, we have that already. It's called webm. Apple needs to start supporting that, as well as gif.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I have yet to find a use case for live view. And converting it to GIF - I definitely am lost looking for that use case. Would be interested in responses with use cases for either feature.

Asarien

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2015
Any ideas how to get Live Photos on Photos for OS X? I read it can only be done via cable? Is that right? I use an app called PhotoSync to currently sync my pics over but with Live Photos it only sends the main image. Also AirDrop doesn't seem to work with my iPhone and RMBP.

Only Photos 1.1 in El Capitan natively supports Live Photos, regardless to how they're imported. You can Photo Stream from your iPhone or turn on iCloud Photo Sharing.

Reactions: Chumburro2U

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
GIF needs to die already - APNG is good, an actual video file is good. Yes, properly-created GIF files of the right content will be the smallest file type, but full-color real-world photos/video are *NOT* the right content! They're meant for simple line drawing type content.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA

I can't imagine what's more basic in an image-sequence format than a series of JPEGs rapidly playing in succession of each other.

GIF animations aren't a JPEG-image sequence. They are GIF image sequence. GIF isn't a really pretty compression technology. There are better solutions out there. I agree we need to dump GIF and move to something with much higher quality with similar or lower bandwidth requirements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.